Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen fitting

Colin Grundy

Having just fitted the new screen to my car (original surround was damaged on delivery), I notice there are gaps, and the rubber on one side doesnt fit entirely flat. The thing just doesn't look totally watertight.

I had a problem fitting the stanchions to the car and then fitting the winscreen, I couldn't compress the screen surround enough to get the stanchion bolts in. I then took them off and fitted the stanchions to the screen and fitted the whole thing as a unit.

However, after a bit of a struggle it went in but it doesn't quite fit right.

Anyone had any experiences of this. (I wish I'd left it to Caterham to fit at PBC!!)

*confused*

Colin I have had my screen on and off numerous times, without too many problems, and I have now got a screen change down to about 20 mins, including fitting the aeroscreen.

When I got a replacement screen for my previous car I had to cut the amoutn of rubber down at the end s to get a decent fit, but I think that is by design that you get extra.

It sounds very odd that you couldn't compress the assembly enough to get the stanchion bolts in, mine is a reasonably snug fit and I get more worried about scrating the paintwork

assume you haven't got an SV screen by mistake 😬

I doubt if it will ever be 100% water tight *smile*

rob

Colin

Yup they are pretty tight, I find the best way is once all the bolts are in place losen everything off a little, push the screen hard down and then tighten it all up, you may need to trim the rubber seal from under teh stantions, mine is thinned to about half width and sits along the leading edge of the stantion.

Simon