Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Heavy Wheels

Ian Barkley

I've just aquired a set of [used] 13" 'minilites' with part used Yokohama 210's. Although the weather has not been ideal sad.gif floods, trees blown across the road etc, the turn-in seems sharper and they feel much more responsive than the Michelin Pilots [36,000miles] on 15" Prisoners, as expected, [recomended].

My query is, the 13" wheels [and tyres] are 30lb each! which is surprisingly blush.gif slightly more heavy than the 15" wheels [and tyres]!!!

I thought that there would be a substantial advantage in reducing the unsprung weight, if you had smaller wheels and tyres?? in addition to using the 'stickier' rubber!

I was also told on replacing a front wheel bearing a while ago that the larger wheels were straining the bearing more than smaller [lighter?] wheels.

Any comments?? I would be most interested in your views/experience.

Thanks

Ian B

I think that wheel bearing life expectancy is related to rim/tyre width rather that diameter. Wider would mean greater leverage or higher loading for the same given weight or force exerted........................or something. Where's Peter C when you need himquestion.gif

Image-wheels did some 13"-wheels for me and the weight-saving in contrast to the 15" Revos before was significant. Before I used to bend my back when carrying one 15" wheel, now I carry a 13" left and a 13" right. They´re split-rims, expensive but worth every pence. Pictures at www.mospeed.de.

Cheers !

We need to collect any information available on weights of tyres by sizes and make, and weights of wheels by sizes and make, if we want to be able to make comparisons. Seems to me to be worth doing so as, eventually, it will be multiplied at minimum by 4! And the unsprung weight may also be a factor of good handling.

Can someone elaborate?

Chers,

Pierre

FWIW:

KN Minator (aka Caterham Minilite) 6x13 = 4.5Kg

Yokohama A021R 185/70x13 = 7.5Kg

That gives 12Kg per corner for me (compared with 13.5Kg per corner for my old wheels/tyres, same dimensions).

A total saving of 6Kg of unsprung weight (if only I knew whether this was any good or not!!!!!!).

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

Much like 30+ other members I have just fitted 13" wheels and tyres.

These Minitor wheels are shod with 185/70 21R's and replace the standard 15" prisoner and pilots (part worn). Whilst swopping them over I noticed a considerable weight difference which worked out to be 5lb per wheel (going imperial to be difficult) with the new items being ligher.

This adds up to a 20lb (9.1kg) saving on unsprung weight and an additional 5lb (2.3kg) saving on vehicle weight due to the spare wheel.

Obviously had I fitted ACB's or 60 section Yoko's then the saving would have bee greater.

Perhaps this will explain why the R500 is faster than my Vauxhall?

I once read an amusing letter and reply in a cycling magazine about putting helium in the tyres (this idea was only being aired as a provocation to the weight obsessive lobby) - although the saving was not small, the magazine pointed out that it would be extremely difficult to maintain tyre pressure, due to Helium leeching away much more rapidly than air!

The annoying thing about savng weight is that one has to be really extreme on lots of minor details to gain a decent accumulated benefit. Having said that, with a bicycle it is definately worth it and a light bike (esp one with light wheels) is much more of a joy to ride than the regular equivalent.

By far the biggest gain though is in the KNOWING that you've got the light bike! No doubt the same applies with our larger toys.