Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearbox advice

Beejay993

After the first real outing of the year and completed some 450 miles, my gearbox is feeling extremely rough, going up through the gears is ok, however coming down the gears it's very tough to get it in gear and when stationary and trying to select 1st, it's a challenge, normally having to select 2nd first, then attempting 1st again....never been like this n the past...any thoughts on what it could be ?

Clutch or spigot bearing, is it cable or hydraulic?

Sounds like clutch arm not moving fully or clutch slave cylinder not moving fully.

Could be clutch pressure plate not releasing evenly or friction plate lining coming off ☹️

Might be a quick fix or box out.

Chris *wavey*

Edited by - Birkin S3 ZA. on 19 May 2013 18:28:14

I just had the same issue with my RoverK, drysumped bellhousing, Hydraulic clutched, 6speed, LHD 😬

I had a couple of spacers inserted to lengthen the slave Pull. Also found that the hydraulic clutch clevis on the clutch Master was worn a bit and had some additional play. Seemed fine during two back to back trackdays last week. Hoping that's all it was but have a clutch, CRB, spigot bearing, and new drysump clutch arm on the bench if it acts up again. Good Luck.

Tom

Thanks guys, it's a 2007' superlight 150bhp sigma, 14000 miles..I was unaware that there was any any means of adjusting the clutch? Hopefully it's just that, only bought the car in October last year and hardly used it so far so hope it's not a box out job!! Thanks for all the feedback.

The symptoms you describe are due to the clutch not fully disengaging when you push your foot down. It is up to you to determine why that is happening, here are some possibilities:

1. Clutch cable has stretched (use adjustment in cable sleeve to fix)

2. Clutch release arm is bending (replace release arm)

3. Friction plate is coming away from backing (replace clutch)

4. Pedal stop has moved (move it back again)

5. Clutch cable is about to snap (replace cable)

6. Hydraulic leak in master or slave cylinder of clutch (replace seals, refill with fluid and bleed)

etc...

Your Sigma car has a hydraulic clutch. The first things I would check are:

1. Does the hydraulic circuit need bleeding to remove air?

2. Is the pedal stop correctly adjusted?

You'll find details of what to do in the Assembly Guide pp182-183 (download from here).

JV