Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter Motor

Spanners

Earlier this week I tried to fire up my 1700 1990 Xflow. The battery was a bit flat so the starter motor was struggling a little to turn the engine over. At which point there was the sound of an electric motor running full tilt. Removing the ignition key, trying to turn the ignition key etc. nothing would stop it running. The only way it would stop was by disconnecting the battery. (not the easiest of jobs as it is a Hawker battery on its side under the carbs..). I managed to scrounge a lift to work, re-charged the battery, but when I reconnected the battery the motor still keeps running. I tried lightly tapping the starter/solenoid, but dont want to knock it about too much until I knew what the problem is likely to be.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone have any ideas what steps I should take towards rectifying the problem. It happened about 4 years ago, sorted itself out and has not recurred until just now...

thanks, Alex

Alex

In normal operation when you turn the key (or hit the starter button) a signal gets sent down the small wire to the solenoid, the elecrical charge pulls the piston in the solenoid backwards causing two things to happen, one, it makes a connection internally between the two large coneectors providing power to the starter 'motor' and two it makes the starter gear engage with the flywheel turning over the engine. It sounds to me like the piston has pulled back and connected the two large connectors to the motor section and has then returned without releasing correctly. The only way to cure it is to remove the starter and strip down the solenoid to release the offending part.

If you're not comfortable with doing it I'd be happy to have a look if you can get it to me, I'm based in Reading area

Mark