Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raleigh bike parts circa 1984

Wrightpayne

Hi,

I've just purchased from eBay a 1984 Raleigh Rapide bike and need a few bits to get it back to as near to original spec as possible. It has a Reynolds 531 frame and forks and campagnolo gears so quite a high specification bike in its day. Here are a few bits I need to get it back to standard:-

SR engraved handlebars

Weinmann 500 side pull brakes (recessed) and levers

Rear wheel - maillard small flange hub / weinmann rim (the catalogue states they were Atom hubs but front looks original and is maillard) TBH hubs would be ok as probably going to have new 700c rims fitted.

Any of you cyclist have any old parts knocking around?

Regards

Ian

Don't have anything useful for you I'm afraid. But do check the hubs. They are likely cup and cone, with loose BBs, and while the BBs usually wear out, if it's that old, the cup and cones may also be worn and new BBs will not fix it. Also, on the rear, the ratchets wear out.

Anyway, retrobike (here) is your best port of call! *thumbup* Get some pics up too, do love a bit of bike eye candy *smokin*

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for bits

The Weinmann wheel is very illusive. Its marked as 622-17 700C and is slightly convex with domed spoke holes (not eyelets)

Handle bars tick

500 brakes tick

Brake levers tick

Correct 6 speed block (from Romania) tick

Had to get a chain set spider as the pedal thread was stripped - got one off ebay cheaper than getting helicoiled.

Regards

Ian