Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 speed 'box to five

simonray

I'm in the throws of converting a '93 LA chassis from 4 speed to 5. Bruce Robinson at Arch reckons that the mounting for the dummy gearstick in the tunnel needs to be removed as it fouls the new box. The last time I saw an article about this procedure (David Mirylees in LF almost 10 years ago!) there was no mention of having to saw it off. Anybody that's done this conversion know the answer?

Simon

Simon, just to confuse things further, I had my 1982 chassis converted to take the 5 speed gearbox, the mounting for the original remote 4 speed shift remained in place, and the remote mechanism has been shortened, there is about 6mm clearance from the back of the gearbox to the shift mounting bridge, I also needed to cut a section of the gearbox casting mounting point, to lower the box in the tunnel and give clearance of the bottom of the gear stick and the forward propshaft U.J., I have some photos of the installed shift and could scan to you if your interested, maybe the chassis changed more radically between yours and mine, but it's all interesting stuff, regards Nigel.