Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing clearcoat from carbonfiber

JACK FLASH

I got a set of seconhand carbonfiber mirrors, but with the clearcoat damaged. That' s why they were cheap. 😬

How do I remove the clearcoat in a reasonable time? Fingernails are effective, but ...

Ideas to prepare the carbonfiber in order to put new laquer on them are also welcome.

Jack Flash

Edited by - JACK FLASH on 13 May 2013 11:06:40

sand paper...

start with something like 100, then 140 and finish with 200. that' what i did to my CF parts before respraying them with matt finish.(wings, seats ,nose, mirrors...)

cheers

no, i didn't!

cf (mine are pre preg) has a very hard surface. you can use 100 without any probleme.

all my parts have been done this way, two years now and no probleme with stone chips.

the first time i tried, i was worry about damaging the carbon fiber fabric and only started with 1000 as the result the laquer was not enough "fixed".

cheers

Hi guys,

To start with Elie, it' s still for the Elise. I could not resist buying a pair of mirrors for only 50 EURO. The next Seven project is still in the negotiating process. :-) If I get my hands on that VVC Seven, I' ll put a next silly question on BlatChat, "how do I remove effectively paint from a Seven".

Thanks for the sandpaper suggestion. I was afraid of damaging the carbonfiber with sandpaper and was thinking of a mild paint remover product, heat, ...

I have no idea about the quality of the carbonfiber, so it' s going to be trial and error. I did a small piece with a 200 grain and the result is very good. In fact carbonfber looks much better without lacquer on it! I' ll probably go for a matt finish.

Jack Flash