Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400/500 Temp Sensors

Bafty Crastard

The two temperature sensors for the gauge and ECU on an R300 are located on the "water rail" attached to the top of the left hand side of the engine, i.e. the flow from the engine to the radiator.

This location of the sensors is best placed (I think) to monitor the temperature of the water actually leaving the engine, the down side is the heat generated by the 4 branch exhaust tends to "over heat" the sensors even melting the terminals covers.

Caterham on the R400/500 have relocated these sensors into a "sub-marine pipe" fitted in the heater by-pass tube *confused*

Surely this will give a false temperature reading, possibly missleading the ECU ?.... Any thoughts

R300 NUT

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 21 Nov 2002 08:32:28

No these do not give misleading readings. There is the square root of bugger all cooling ability coming out of a bypass pipe, so the exit temperature and the inlet temperature via the bypass are nearasdammit the same.

The flow through this section is fast generally, so temperature gradients are small. The flow through the radiator is regulated and is often very slow. This leads to large temperature gradients across the radiator and very cold radiator return temp.

Counter-intuitively, when the least heat is being dumped through the radiator, the temperature gradient across the radiator is the highest.

Just run a test on this subject on a new R400 with the lap top conected to the ecu the water temp reading from the ECU was 96, but on the stack display it was 101. the warning light is set to come on at 102 =103 .the sensor on the water rail is brass and in my opinion absorbs the heat from the primary pipes this is why i am going to move it and the sender to a more neutral location . don't know if i am right or talking ****e. you tell me . 😬

The brass sensor is likely to absorb more heat than the plastic type, this would account for the discrepancy. Caterham say this effect is almost eliminated when the car is moving !

All new R000 cars intent for the sensors to be located as stated in the heater/by-pass pipe which will be above the bellhousing

R300 NUT