Click here if you are having website access problems ×

alloy wheel air leaks in tin-top

charlie_pank

All 4 wheels on the tin top leak up to 10psi a week. I'm pretty sure it's not punctures, but a poor seal between the rims and the lip of the tyres (second hand alloys). I've had some of the tyres re-seated, but it hasn't made much of a difference. I'm thinking about using 'punctureseal' to stop me having to pump them up EVERY week. Does anyone have any advice/experience on using it?

I've used something similar on bikes for years with no problem. In fact the pressure change over a winter layup is often only 1 or 2 psi max.

DO warn your tyre man before he takes it off though! They get very grumpy when covered in that stuff without warning 😔 Mine never has a problem with it once he knows it is in there.

Paul.

Every single aluminium alloy wheel I've ever owned has started to leak from the rim/tyre joint at some point.

Personally, I think alloy wheels are the biggest waste of space ever invented. They're pure bling and nothing else in nearly all cases - and if you weigh one, you'll be surprised how much heavier they are than simple steel wheels.

The weight comment obviously excludes properly designed and forged competition wheels.

Edited by - Roger King on 11 May 2013 22:10:39

Edited by - Roger King on 11 May 2013 22:16:41

Always worth checking where the leak is coming from before throwing money at it. If you make up a solution of washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle you can give the wheel/tyre a good dousing. It will then be obvious where the leak is.