Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake caliper....useless or not set up correctly.

kenny.

Guys, been meaning to ask this for ages. I know Caterhams aren't known for the most powerfull handbrakes on the planet but this is daft.

The car has big APs on the front and big brakes on the back.............however the handbrake does not work via that big caliper. Instead there is a tiny handbrake caliper (similar to that you see on old Elans) with a pad surface area the size of a postage stamp.

For MOTs I manage to screw it up so it gives at least a reading but then need to back it off as it binds.....so back to no handbrake once more. Apart from spoiling the set up and replacing with the standard Sierra items (which I won't) is there a way of getting these things to work?

Which other Caterhams have them by the way? does the R500 have them?

Any info from people with the same set up would be appreciated.

As an aside I've a spare pair that came with the car in the spares bundle, the receipts suggest they cost a bomb but again pad size is tiny and I fear the same problems.

Many thanks chaps.

I agree totally and do leave it in gear etc. However my MOT lads are great guys and will not snag me just for awkwardness or trivia as some stations love to................so I don't like to take the pee. If it has a handbrake lever it's nice for it to at least make the needle on his brake machine flicker 😬