Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The age old problem - tyres

Robert Sharpe

I've been waiting on Yokohama to supply me with A021R's for my 185/60x14 wheels - over 6 weeks the car has been off the road now they tell me there will be no supply until Jan 2003! I can't wait that long without using the car. What would anyone suggest as replacements?

Car mostly used for road use with occassion track day. I've had Mitchlen before but want something softer yet does not wear in on season. Yokohama have suggested A539 tyres? Any good?

All advice welcome before I pull my hair out.

I just took Colway F2 off my car, they are really rather heavy as they are remoulds.

No idea about grip because they look a bit dangerous in the wet as they do not have any full channels to the edges of the tyre, I changed them ASAP. Can imagine they stick well enough in the dry and I hear they are very cheap.

The kumhos seem to be well liked by those across the North Sea...

It is what Anders uses on the front and Henrik, Jan Brolund and I use

all around. Excellent tyre. Cheap and sticky. I did 1.20-ish with

Avon in ACB10 compound last summer in good conditions on the

Gellerasen track. I did 1.16.9 with the Kumho's when it was +3

degrees now in october.

Costs about half of the ACB10:s. Definetely worth the weight difference.

NB some of the price difference will be because they have to ship ACB10s across individually I think.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Darn you'e fast hoopyboy...

I was going to reply myself... The cost of the Kumho Ecsta V700:s is quite low. About 75 UKP a corner depending on size (incl VAT). Be sure to get them in K8 compound. You should also know that the ACB10:s I used was the Caterham supplied A33 compound which are as soft as an ice-hockey puck.

Another factor you should weigh into that comparison is that I had the 245 wide ACB10:s and narrower Kumhos plus better setup now. The 245 were too wide and just kept pushing the front end.

So you should absolutely try the Kumhos.

Cheers

Peter

Well I have just completed a change from 21Rs to A539s and am happy. My 21Rs on the rear were illegal after only about 2500 road miles, so I needed to sacrifice a little ultimate grip for durabilty.

You have to be seriously trying on a try road to get them to unstick & in the wet they seem pretty good.

I might have a case of Ped Plumbus. Better go & check!

Had to check what the Kumhos cost. It was about 70 UKP per corner inc VAT.

You should also know that the popularity is partly due to the fact that they were not classified as "Race Tyres" in the Swedish roadsports championship. Thet are of course "R-tyres" but the classification means that using Kumhos allows a lighter car than if you were using Yokos.

Peter

I had Eagles+Prisoners on my car and wasnt very impressed. I suspect that they had a contribution towards my crash - the car started to spin when rounding a bend at a speed which I didnt think was excessive.

As part of the rebuild I'm switching to 13" Minators + 185/70 A021R's, several people here have made this switch and they all rave about it. The overall size for 185/70s is the same as the Eagles so there is no need to sort out the speedo gearing.

I was quoted £85 per tyre inc vat , balancing and fitting for replacement Eagles from a local supplier. George Polley quoted me £100 all-in for a Minator + A021 inc vat and fitting, so for £15 a corner more its a no-brainer really.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings.

Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ but is being fixed *thumbup* *smile*