Click here if you are having website access problems ×

low flying

Chas Guirey

Dear All I have got a 100bhp 7 whiich I find is just about quick enough but the handling with a live axle stops me from using the available power. On anything less than a smooth road the car seems to spend a lot of time in low flying mode which I admit to finding rather alarming at times. I feel safer at 120 on my bike than at 90 in the car

Anyone any idea what the cost of converting to dedion would cost and whether the benfit would justify the expense. I had thought of getting Caterham to uprate the engine to 120 BHP but cant see the point with the current handling.

regards

Chas

Live axle handling can vary greatly depending on the state of the bushes, particularly the 'A' frame bush that locates the A frame to the bottom of the axle.

Change this bush for new, drop the tyre pressures and if you have Spax adjustable dampers click them off a few clicks (it's easy to get the adjustment the wrong way round at first). My first Caterham was a live axle and these simple changes transformed the car.

I ended up changing out the A frame bush every 500 miles, such was the stick it gets.

Regards

Rowland

De Dion conversion a big deal - chassis change etc - not really doable,

Live axle still preferred by many with less than 150 bhp including the Fireblade guys as it is lighter than de Dion by a wide margin so keep experimenting with set up !

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . . . . .

Changed my front wishbones on a live axle to the de-dion adjust, changed to a 5/8 roll bar.

I have a 160 bhp xflow and have no problems with the handling.

I have Leda's front and back, run 300 springs on the front and 110 on the rear.

The car handles brilliantly. Also have 1.5 degs neg camber and tracking set to neutral.

One note of caution !!! 😳 😳 😳

Live axles had Spax adjustable DAMPERS - thats the cylindrical tube that goes up the middle of the spring. It has a small slotted adjuster that clicks round and adjusts the stiffness of the suspension.

Some cars are fitted with adjustable SPRING PLATFORMS in the form of a screw threaded seat on which the spring sits. Adjusting this up and down alters the ride hight of the car and just about every other suspension setting into the bargain.

To make the car handle better and stop boucing around soften the DAMPERS a few clicks.

Adjusting the ride height at the rear without compensating at the front and re-aligning the steering geometry could make the handling very interesting indeed. Let us know how you get on !

Good luck *thumbup*

Regards

Rowland

Rowland - I wound the springs out on the back of the car and in the process spotted the damper adjustment screws so I unscrewed those a couple of clicks. The ride is definetly much softer which is nice. However the car now has this interesting habit of wanting to go back the way I have just come! Its a sort of bollocks I have had enough of this - about turn. Particularly coming out of roundabouts! My son seemed to sum things up by commenting "I think any more power in this car would be unnecessary"

Not quite sure if I have got it right yet but will keep twiddling !!

Regards

Chas

😳 😳 Chas...the car was corner weighted only 6 months ago for a 74kg driver.It has adjustable AVO's which are less than 12 months old. I quite liked the firmer ride and had the dampers set quite firm. The springs are 110's on the back i think. Sounds as if you have altered the ride height at the back as well as softening the ride. I assume this is why the handling has become 'interesting'. Hope you manage to sort it out to suit your preferences.

Chris

Chris

It sounds like you made too big a change to the rear of the car. You don't want to imbalance the car front to rear so big changes to one end of the car won't help.

Adjust all four corners a little bit a a time until it feels better and then experiment with small differences between front and back.

I would recommend a good book on suspension set up for Christmas. I use Carrol Smiths 'Tune To Win !!' which I got from Demon Tweaks.

If you adjusted the height of the rear spring platforms then they should be put back to where they were. Lowering the rear of the car affects the handling quite significantly and affects the front suspension settings too.

The golden rule of setting up a car is to change one thing a liitle bit at a time (E.g. drop tyre pressures all round by 2 psi) and to note what you change and by how much. Then you can always put it back as it was if it doesn't work.

Regards

Rowland