Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre pressure question + second set of wheels & tyres

BenF

I've currently got CR500s on my R300K (6x13 front and 8x13 rear). I noticed that rears have about 2.5mm tread left on the middle two wear bars (after 6000 miles), with the outer wear bars having quite a bit more tread left (3.5mm).

I run at 18psi all round, but the wear pattern suggests the tyres are slightly over-inflated. Question 1 - are people running lower than this?

So anyway, within 1000 miles I'm probably going to have to get some new rear tyres. I thought that maybe I should get a second set of rims, to have more flexibility (e.g. for track days), plus it's a chance to try some different tyres.

Question 2 - I'd plan to stick with 6x13 front AND rear, for simplicity. Any suggestions for which tyre to go for, not too expensive, biased towards road use but also for track days? I know there have been lots of threads on this in the past, just thought I would gauge current opinion. I'm quite happy with CR500s but they are not cheap and do seem to be occasionally difficult to get hold of (normally I would expect to do a trip up to BMTR to get them).

If anyone has any second-hand 6x13 rims they are thinking of getting rid of, let me know.

• Support Team

16-17 psi cold which should get to around 20-21 psi hot. A bit of experimentation is required.

As for track day tyres, any of the following would be good choices Avon ZZR, Toyo R888, Yokohama A048R. They all work well on the road as well although, as you would expect, wet weather performance isn't as good as the CR500 especially in standing water. I always found A048Rs a bit stiff for the road but fine on track. Kumho Ecsta V70a is also a decent choice although they are heavier and stiffer than the Avon alternatives.

Thanks Shaun, I'll look at those tyre options.

The tyre wear is definitely being caused by fast pull aways *smokin* ; I've been targeting the lowest sensible pressure to try to even out the wear but was not sure if I should be going much below 18psi cold.

On the track, I can understand this (the duty cycle is higher and you are going to end up at reasonable stabilised pressures). On the road, there is less margin. I'll try dropping the rears to 17psi.

6000 miles *eek* My first set are almost on the wear markers after less than 300 miles 😬....ok, so that is 2 x trackdays, 1 x 20 minute qualifying and 2 x 20 minute races 😬

As the guys here have said 18 psi all around will be fine and give you 20 - 12psi hot, depending on how hard you work them. If you are getting 6000 miles from a set I think you are doing really, really well *thumbup*

300 miles? *eek*

OK, in that case it's not looking too bad *smile*

They seem to have worn quickly, as it only seems like I fitted them recently, but it was actually 2 years ago - time flies...

Christ *eek* *eek* *eek* i must not be trying my yoko 352's are coming up to 26000 miles and i do push them but i still have a couple of mm on them yet. My 15" 32's soft compound only lasted 3000 miles till they were not road leagal but they are a nice slick for the track now.

Goes away muttering must try harder must try harder

RRS

*confused*

If I ever got 4k out of a set of 48's or 888's just on road, I'd count myself lucky! More like 3K!

Never heard of Yoko 352's, but 26K! Come on, thats utterly ridiculous. They must be hard as nails, and positively dangerous to yourself and other road users on a 7

I feel a bit embarrassed mentioning my mileage now *redface*

Between the 48s and the 888s, what are the differences in handling? The 888s (proxes) seem quite good value, having looked on the net....