Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More oil advice please

RDEX

Some oil advice please. I have recently done my first oil change on my K series and have decided to use Mobil1.

My question is, is it worth or indeed safe to use an oil additive such as STP in conjunction with a synthetic oil such as Mobil1 1?

This may seem like overkill. however the cost of such an additive is negligible and it appears to make my other car rev more freely and promises higher protection, and I want to protect my pride and joy as well as possible!! 🤔

please do not use oil additives in conjunction with engine oils, they are rarely approved by the engine manufacturer.

In our case at Ford, I specifically prohibit the use of supplemental oil additives as most do not offer the customer any advantages at all and many are in fact harmful.

A properly formulated engine oil will perform the job perfectly, particularly something like Mobil 1.

All engine oils are a careful blend of certain performance additives that are designed to work in conjuction with each other. Some oil chemistries are in fact carefully balanced. The addition of supplemental additives can sometimes upset that balance. I have seen cases where this causes certain oil additives to drop out of solution.

Basically at best you'll waste your money.

STP is the answer Andy Granitelli found to the question "What do I do to make money with the dregs after all useful products have been refined from crude?" It wasn't an answer to a lubrication problem, but rather a ploy to market an otherwide useless product.