Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

front suspension conversion

pete east

can any member give me any advice on converting the front suspension from the old style (anti roll bar bar forming the top front link) to the later top wishbone type where the anti roll bar is just the anti roll bar! Ive seen the conversion kits but wondered if they were

factory retro fitted or wether most have been done on a diy basis. any comments would be welcome.

Mine was done by Ratrace about 4 years ago using a pukka upper wishbone and spherical joints at the bottom of the upright. This was done as a minimal cost option while the front was being repaired under an insurance claim - and to be honest I found no real benefit other than not having to oil the trunnions.

It is worth noting that this setup does allow adjustment of camber as the upper wishbone includes the adjustable ball joint, but does not allow caster adjustment as that is a function of the chassis to lower wishbone clearance.

However, my attitude to this setup may change on Friday as I am having the Freestyle kit fitted, complete with adjustable ARB - which would not be an option with the old 'classic' top link.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I converted my 91 Live axle a year or so ago and I think it was one of the best upgrades I have done. It made the front end feel a lot stiffer, probably because I went for a 5/8 roll bar rather than the 1/2 inch one that was on there.

The kit from Caterham can be fitted reasonably easily, you just need to cut one hole on each side for the upper wishbone front support.

The only down side, is the kit comes with trackrod ends that were designed for the later uprights, ie no trunnions, and although they will fit, they have the wrong ball joints on the end, so they don't exactly fit the taper on the trunnion uprights. Whilst this isn't a major problem, Caterham have not tested the conversion with a trunnion upright, so I don't know where you would stand if you had a bang!

The way forward is to buy different track rod ends from your local motor factor, which have the correct taper for the earlier uprights (why Caterham can't supply them I don't know)

The rod ends cost about £6.00 each and fit straight on, (they were originally off a Fiat 132 I think, the part No is QR1118S)