Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pretty serious fuel leak - HELP!

Big Bad Baz

Noticed a fairly strong smell of petrol on the way to work last night. When I got there, I parked the car but left the engine running and investigated.

Petrol was pouring out from under the back end - so I switched off pretty quick. It's coming from the O/S rear corner (so pretty much under the fuel pump area) and stops with the engine off.

Couldn't have a look before work and too dark to have a look after. Obviously, I've left it there and I'll go in early tomorrow and have a look.

Are there any "usual suspects" when it comes to fuel leaks like this?

(1995 K Series)

If it's on the pressurised side of the pump, which it sounds like it is since it's dripping when running but not when stopped, i'd suggest either the banjo is loose ( or sealing washers not sealing) or the feed pipe away from pump to filter is cracked. Dry off the area then just prime the pump a few times by turning ign on & off a few times to get the pump to run, then look to see where it's leaking from. Could be the return pipe from fuel rail too of course, it goes back into the tank on top/ front side, so could be dripping down and to right if angled that way

• Leadership Team

This happened to me and it was the rubber fuel line from the fuel pump (tank) to the fuel filter - it makes a large arc and the compressed underside was badly perished. Was fine until I disturbed it!

Stu.

There are four flexible fuel hoses on a k-series.

All can be replaced easily with a metre of 8mm bore fuel hose from a car spares shop and the right size fuel hose screw clamps (not jubilee style clamps .... they are not so good in small sizes).

One from top of tank to return fuel rail above diff ... easy bit.

One from front of engine to fuel return hose ...... very easy.

One from fuel pump banjo on side of tank to fuel filter behind driver's seat .... recall you may have to carefully cut through the ferrule crimps that clamp each end onto the fitting, then use a new fuel hose clamp.

One from rigid feed line in tunnel above gearbox to injector rail at rear of engine. Same as above. Dont lose the o-ring where fitting bolts into end of rail. Remove this fitting to make job easier.

Shocking how perished hoses can be !!

Quoting Phil B: 
BAZ,

Just be careful that you buy fuel hose that is suitable for fuel injection systems, as plenty of places still stock hose that is menat for low pressure (carburettor) use.

The preferred standard is SAE 30R9, see this article from Gates.

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/gates/brochure/techtipsform.pdf

regards,

Phil

If it's from just in front of the tank on a K-series car he can use either carb' or injection fuel hose, it's still low pressure there.

I've had a look and it is the hose coming out of the side of the pump/tank. Completely perished at the very first bend.

I've ordered some new hose and the appropriate clips. Access looks pretty good (or will be when Jacked up) so I'll get on to it when the parts arrive.

Thanks again for the advice.

Excuse the crappy mobile photo:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b337/Sciroccology/Converted%20RAW/IMAG0187_1204_zps49bd5ad9.jpg

As about as effective as a fishnet stocking.

So, is there no undoing of the connections involved - you just remove the old hose and fit the new one with the new clips?

Not sure what you mean. You will need to cut through the clips that hold the existing hose to the fittings. Best to undo the banjo bolt and the other end and do it on the bench. You will need to make sure the tank is empty enough, or park the car on a slope (or jack one side to tilt it) so the offside end of the tank is high enough to be above the fuel level. Note there is one sealing washer either side of the hose fitting on the banjo bolt on the tank.

I am sure a metre of hose did all four hoses.

The one that connects to the fuel rail on the engine used to be over £60 !!!!!
no I think you will find this hose runs between the pump and the fuel filter.

I would either buy a replacement from CC or Redline or as Tony has stated have a proper aeroquip hose made up locally as the fuel pressure can be 4 bar and I would not want to trust jubilee clips

Quoting Ray Snoates: 

No on this occasion Ian (sm25t) is quite correct with stating the tunnel to fuel rail hose was extortionately expensive (£60 or so).

Quoting mav: 
Quoting Ray Snoates: 

No on this occasion Ian (sm25t) is quite correct with stating the tunnel to fuel rail hose was extortionately expensive (£60 or so).

Ray was pointing out that the cost of the fuel rail hose is an irrelevance because that isn't the hose that has perished - in the same way that the cost of a carbon wing has no bearing