Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What am I doing wrong!!!

Ads7

I've been trying to access my emerald ecu for days now and after Paul (merecat) showing me how to do it on Saturday, I thought it was going to be a straight forward thing to do.

So what am I doing wrong. I have a serial lead from good old maplins which goes through a Serial-USB converter into the computer. Turn ignition on so red light turns on and nothing. The status on the emerald software just says no ecu.

Is it case that I have to use the emerald serial lead off there web sight? Or should any serial lead work?

Adam

Not had any emerald experience but had lots of experience using USB to serial port adapters on other software diagnostic tools.

I tried for ages with a windows 7 package it was having non of it, I'm no computer expert but I'm told it was something to do with the Bit rate of the computer either 16bit or 32bit.

I resulted in picking up an old lap top using a serial port.

I'm told its achievable with a newer computer just need someone to explain how.

• Support Team
You can't use a standard serial cable and you could damage he ECU. You need a "null modem" cable - best get one from Emerald. They will also advise on a serial-USB adaptor that works.

I found with mine that you have to do it in a specific order or it does not work

The below works for me hopefully for you too

With PC on

Firstly plug in the USB serial adaptor with nothing plugged into it.

Car off plug in the serial cable to both sides

Power up car

Open emerald software

If you look into the system settings device manager you should see the com port number the USB is and pop that into the emerald software as it asks on start up

Mark