Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cold Start (or cold not start)

Alex Rae

Help!

Being still in the throws of being a new owner (well August anyway) I decided to take the Caterham to my badminton club last night.

However, it wouldn't start. Has not run for probably the last 3 or 4 weeks, and been in a cold guarage. The fuel pump sounded like it worked, and the battery is not flat (the lights work).

Switched the immobilisor off as usual, but all I got was a high speed clack-clack-clack sound, which i guess came from the startor motor.

Is a 1.6k SS. Anyone any ideas? I don't really want to call the AA, and is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?

I'm not too clued up not mechanical stuff, so i hope it's simple *thumbup*

Thanks in advance.

AJ02RAE

Sounds like the battery is a bit flat and doesn't have enough power to turn the starter correctly.

charge the battery, if that cures it and you intend to leave it for a few weeks at a time buy a battery conditioner that you leave connected contiuously while in the garage and it automatically ensures the battery is kept charged

Mark

Cheers for that.

Is it then possible for everything else electrical to work, and still not be enough to turn the starter motor? And what's making that clack-clack-clack sound? *confused*

The real reason for not wanting to call the AA is that I had to call them out while on a tour of the highlands. On advice, I was driving with the headlights on. I then went wandering round Inverness for a couple of hours, still with the headlights on!

Felt a bit silly there. AA were very helpful, especially as my membership was suspended as I had RAC cover with the tin top. RAC wouldn't come out to the Caterham (shower of ********), so I called the AA who re-activated my membership, and I was on my way within 20 minutes.

AJ02RAE

Sounds very similar to a problem I had last year. All electrics working, occasional whine/clunk from starter motor but no starting. Jump leads from a tintop worked, hinting the battery was shot. Ratrace examined it and the power in the battery was fine UNTIL the key was turned when it plummeted and no starting. Fixed by a new battery and no re-occurence as yet.

HTH

E.

Ewen Malloch

P979TMV - Yellow 1.6 K Series

Alex

Try the jump leads first, the battery may just be a bit drained from the Immobiliser etc.

If it starts OK then invest in one of the battery conditioners (available from Halfords, Airflow and a number of others) this will keep the battery in good condition.

If you go out and buy a new battery it might last a bit longer before being to weak to turn over the engine but you could easily end up with the same problem

Mark