Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500K oil level- how to check and can I just over fill?

the_village_idiot

Hi guys,

I'm planning on driving my r500 a lot more over the summer- and as such may use a bit more oil so I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1) how much oil does the full 500 system hold inc dry sump?

2) as I'm worried about running the car too low on oil- and there is no dip stick- is it safe to just over fill the car and rely on the catch tank system to drain any excess oil off? Or is the system where the excess oil is drained off slow- and before it works is the engine running on too much oil?

3) any other hints to measure oil levels?

• Leadership Team

I use the following procedure for my SLR:

Run the engine, then turn off and check the level within the next 30 seconds.

Remove the cap on the tower and insert a suitable rod with a mark point at 10.5", measured from the bottom of the rod .... this is the correct level. My tower cap actually has a dip stick attached (I think it's a Caterham part) which measures the same level but it's far easier to use a separate rod - I use a section of 4mm ally rod from B&Q!

Very easy to get consistent readings this way .... and since my rebuild I'm no longer needing to top-up regularly *cool*

Edited to add ... if you do need more oil just pour it in through the cam cover filler. Running the engine for a minute or so will adjust the level in the belltank but in practice you generally get used to know how much to add.

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 23 Apr 2013 07:50:12

If you overfill a little it just throws it out into catch tank. No harm done. Also, if you are using high revs constantly, such as on track, the "resting" level is lower. I tend to err on side of over filling a touch when in hard use and empty excess from catch tank.

Ps I think it holds a bit over 5 litres, but I found it hard to get more than 4.5 in and that's after disconnecting bottom pipe, blue plate under tank etc.

Edited by - jimmyslr on 23 Apr 2013 23:16:44

Except it is rather a waste of oil!

I prefer to set mine top mark on the dipstick (equal to 10" above the blue base plate)

Check on every tank fill when doing short haul blatting. Every 2 tanks when touring. Seems that cold starts are an important influence on oil consumption. (R400)

Peter

DO NOT overfill too much. I did this in a rush between 2 hillclimb days last weekend & overwhelmed the catch tank. I've spent the last 3 evenings cleaning oil from the engine bay, bonnet, suspension, underside, rear wheel arch...............

Lol- thanks for the replies guys.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on the catch tank level and will come up with my own dipstick system. However- its very reassuring to know I can errr heavily on the side of over filling and, provided I keep the catch tank empty- not worry too much :)