Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ooops petrol into diesel

Al Duncan

EHHHH,

She who cant be named has just stuck a tank full of Shells finest Unleaded into the old oil burner *eek* and performed the miracle of driving it 15 miles home.

Time to own up- who's done it before and how much damage does it cause? 😳

Any advice appreciated as always

Cheers

Al *cool*

Can't tell if damage is done until you get the gas out and the diesel back in. If it starts , runs , doesn't smoke, and sounds OK, it is OK. Make sure to drain and refill the filter(s) also. The remaining gas will dilute quickly. Think about an oil change also. I've seen this before with no damage done.

... offering a little comfort, because it's not as bad as my wife.

Who some years ago took my XJS, filled it up with diesel (in the village garage), ground to a stop 200 yards further on and walked home. LEaving the garage to repair the problem, which cost £120 plus another tank of fuel.

Filled with the success of that happening, a couple of year later, whilst in Hereford. she put petrol in her diesel Citation, stop at a book shop, found the car wouldn't start and had to be trailered away to be pluged into a computer - which of course found there was petrol where diesel should have been.

Bless them... and now you know why men go to the pub so often!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the 222bhp yellow Sausage delivery machine

It depends on the car.

If it is a new Mercedes with a CDI engine the pump will die in a few minutes.

If it is an old one there is not much problem.

Empty the tank +- half and fill it with diesel.

It will drive like a normal diesel car with a better emission!

We in Holland have to do am emission test every year.

If it is critical with a Diesel we fill the tank with a petrol mix.

Afterwards it is much better.

I did it with a work Astra and it was fine once it had been drained, flushed & the filters changed. I drove it for about 2 miles home, then it wouldnt restart. Cost £160 to get it sorted.

Seems everyone with a diesel has at least almost put the wrong fuel in. You wont do it again though!!

It's an old trick in the haulage industry to mix petrol with derv in the winter to avoid the derv waxing out in cold temperatures. I tried it with our own lorries a few years back during a short cold winter period with no apparent ill effects.

The ratio in that instance was 10:1

Brent

@Steve,

I used it in VW Diesels!

It is very common to do so.

I don't know what a CDI does if you mix it in a 25%-75% mixture.

We only did it to pass the test. So that is one tank. So you have the lack of lubrication compensated with a cleaner engine.

The best thing you can do is go to your local dealer and ask for the specs of your car. I am sure they have a lot of expierience with people who made that kind of mistakes!

Regards,

Joost

I have always thought that petrol in diesel cars are O.K to run but not the other way round.

This is something that I have heared from my driving instructor 16 or so years ago. But then I guess cars has changed a lot since so don't trust what I have said above 😬

~~~ standard 1.7 X-flow

Now if we are on to talking about bio diesel visit this site it shows you how to convert chip fat into usable diesel, someone at work showed me the sitev a few weeks ago, definately a cottage industry

http://www.northwales.org.uk/bio-power/

Graham

*confused* The not so New Competition Secretary, in fact already jaded *confused*

*cool* 1700 Live Axle X/Flow, new pb at Curb, Loton Park and Shelsley Walsh in 2002 *cool*