Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I need to know how to pull...

Morls

The infuriating hubs off my ital driveshafts.

Method 1 - Make puller out of bits of metal, apply force, metal tears. Failure *mad*

Method 2 - Halfrauds - Proper Sykes Pikavant Puller, apply extreme force, arms buckle and spring off hub. Failure. *mad*

Method 3 - Proper Sykes Pikevant Puller, arms wedged so they cannot spring off hub, apply extreme force, sideplates tear. Failure. *mad*

Method 4 - Despair. ☹️, Fury *mad* then *idea* ask Blatchat, the font of all knowledge.

So... I'm oping some kind soul will:

a) Drive up from the south, pick up some new wheel bearings, pick up my diff from SPC, pull the hubs off, rebuild the axle, tidy my garage and clean my 7.

or

b) Recommend a (cheap, I'm a tight 🙆🏻'd Yorkshireman) method of getting the hubs off.

Thanks in advance (esp. if you choose option a ).

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

Slide hammer...

I made one on Saturday, fastened it onto the hub, pulled thrice and....

The whole hub and backplate came off when the halfshafts pulled out of the diff *mad*

Actually, this was no bad thing as these had to come off anyway to release the old diff *wink*

But now the shafts are out there's not much to hold them tight enough to act against the hammer. ☹️

I'm sorely tempted to take them to the local BL garage but it seems like an admission of defeat 😳

No one fancies option a) then *wink*

Mark

Hi Mark,

Remove halfshaft, hub backplate in one lump from the axle casing using a slide hammer.

Talk to James Whiting, number in Low Flying inside cover.....put hub plus halfshaft in hydralic press, pump up press...hit halfshaft (in right place, ask James) with large mallet and hopefully- bingo. You will trash the wheel bearing, seal, etc etc, but those are probably shot anyway!

If the tapers are jammed together any other approach will probably just either break the puller, bend the hub or both...got the T shirt!

James did mine for me some years back now, but he's down south so not very convenient for you!

Eliseless and Se7ening again in the rain!

Cheers,

I was considering modifying my new hydraulic jack to make a press the other night, but gave up / smoked / drank instead *smile*

*idea* I think a friend has a hydraulic press at his work, so when he starts his shift at 8 pm he'll be getting a call.

Mark