Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem Fitting Steering Column

nickhi

• Area Representative

Have reached the point in the build when I can get to install the Steering, I thought this would be a nice job to finish the day, and not have to get the mallet out again!, however....

The bottom UJ just won't fit on the steering rack. It seems the splined shaft from the Steering Rack is just too big for the bolt to fit past (I have aligned it to the machine part correctly). Is there a solution or shall I leave it to the PBC.

Also whilst inserting the Upper column over the lower column (I was very careful and used no force) a small white plastic tube came out over the lower column. Any idea what this is and what I need to do with it?

Finally how do you rotate/position the upper rubber bush in the dash tube. I've inserted it but there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing if its located correctly (it's a really tight fit).

Thanks

Nick

I had lots of problems with the fit through the under dash area, that white bearing did not want to stay in.

My upper steering column was very pitted and bubbled up , i gave up and asked cc to change for new parts when it was in for the check

No issues in the lower area, not sure im reading your description right but have you taken the bolt out that allows the spline to go in and the the bolt goes back in and draws it altogether....not sure either description is good

the white tube is indeed one of the inner bearing surfaces for each of the two rubber bushes. They should stay in place as you insert the column but usually don't ☹️

The rubber bushes have a couple of raised knobs that locate in corresponding holes in the sleeve. Lots of silicon fluid helps to press it in but it is a bit of a push.

I can't remember exactly what it looks like but is the steering column U/J split and clamped by a pinch bolt? If so, you could try carefully spreading the U/J a bit with something like a screwdriver. Probably easier with the U/J off the car.

• Area Representative

Thanks, I've tried pushing the white bearing back in but no way I can seem to get it anywhere near looking correct.

Having looked at it again I don't think the problem is with the UJ it seems to be that the machined 'notch' in the short splined shaft from the Steering Rack is too big. Consequently as you insert the Bolt it is forced outwards and won't align with the other hole in the UJ. I've already damaged the bolt thread trying to force it so think this will be one for CC during the PBC. Might get them to sort out the white bearings also.

Funny how what look like the simple jobs turn into a slog. Comparatively installing the Diff was a piece of cake!!

If the bolt hole isn't aligned longitudinaly with the groove in the steering rack spline it is impossible to get the bolt through. If you have tightened the bolt holding the uj to the upper column, release that and allow the uj to slide a little. This may help ....

Nick

I had exact;y the same problem when fitting my steering U/J it fitted the steering rack "a propper job" The fault i found was that the original holes were very poor, they appear to be pressed not drilled. I ran a drill through at 8.5mm to clean the holes through, bolt then fitted properly with the lower colum fitted

ben

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted mine and after few attempts I'd suggest as follows

The bolt in the u/j is definitely badly alligned holes a couple of minutes with the dremel sorted that out.

The bearings, don't fit the top one onto the column first which it says you can do if you have a q/r

It's much easier to insert it first then insert the column.

Regarding the bottom one after about five attempts with the white bearing coming out every time ,no matter what I tried, removed the lower column stuck third digit into hole on bulkhead and through the bearing then pushed upper column down till could centre on my finger and it went straight through. Could then insert the lower column into the upper column provide it was just showing through the bulkhead.

Could have saved myself a couple of hours and a lot of frustration if had known above.

Took me ages to put the top column in without pushing the white plastic bit out, had dozens of goes at it - eventually after a large red wine it went in first go! So I adopted this trick for lots of other parts of the build and it seemed to work just fine 😬

• Area Representative

Thanks for advice, bottle of Red at the ready..

Have got the UJ sorted. Had spoke to CC and as I had wrecked the bolt thread they kindly replaced it and sent a new UJ. This fitted very simply with no problems, so guess I just had a badly aligned one.

Regarding the lower white bearing it was suggested to glue it in place first then it should hold while I insert the upper column. Will be trying this tomorrow. Will also use the approach of guiding the upper column with finger then push lower column upwards into it.