Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Dog box"

Jan Wulfsberg

Do you mean DogLeg? In which case it's a box that has 1st gear down & left, then gears 2-5 in a standard H - like the E30 M3.

I seem to recall from my O'level technology, that straight-cut teeth on a cog are referred to as dog-teeth. Maybe that's it?

Al

Nope. Forgive the less than eloquent language used...

Regardless of whether the main drive teeth are straight or helically cut, there are dog teeth on the sides of the cogs. They look like the turrets on a castle. All drive cogs are permanently meshed in modern boxes (as opposed to a crash box where they weren't and you literally changed gear "meshings") so all you do is lock certain patterns of cogs to their respective shafts. This is done via the dog teeth.

Normal syncro gearboxes have baulk rings which attempt to match the speeds of the about-to-be-engaged cogs, whereupon the dog teeth engage to make the final "lock". On a dog box, there are no baulk rings (I think) and the dog teeth are very much more uprated. In addition I thin the leading edges of the dog teeth are slightly chamfered (maybe on normal boxes too). This means you don't have to wait for the baulk rings to synchronise about-to-be-engaged cogs because you just ram it into gear and let the dog teeth take the strain of any rev mis-matches.

Pretty sure there would be a better description on howstuffworks, including pictures.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours