Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo under reading

Terry Field

I have the old style (1996) Caterham speedo which is under reading by something like 10 - 15 mph.

In other words, with a speedo reading of 60 mph, the true speed is well over 70mph.

Is it possible to have the speedo calibrated? I have used Speedy Cables for repairs previously.

Thanks

Terry

You could try checking and/or changing the speedo drive gear in the tail end of the gearbox. I think Caterhams only used 24-tooth drives, so someone may have had a fiddle in the past if it's underreading by that amount. Apparently the drive is swappable without removing the engine and gearbox, but space is very tight.

Have you changed wheels and tyres or diff ratio from standard? This may cause the speedo to be out as well. I've used JDO in the past to repair a dodgy tacho and he might be able to recalibrate your speedo.

Alternatively, if you can catch me between trackdays, I can send you my speedo to try out on your car. It's the same vintage as yours. I'll be getting rid of the speedo eventually when I redo the dash, but it's quite useful at the moment...

Yep it is the mechanical drive version.

I haven't changed anything for at least 10 years except the angle drive which goes into the side of the gearbox. The replacement came from Redline, so I have no reason to think that it is anything but the original spec. It is always possible that it has always under read, but that no one has commented on it to date. (It has recently been picked up by both a fellow blatter and my wife who were following me).

Mankee, thanks for the kind offer, but I'll pass for now and perhaps give JDO a call. Alternatively I might just invest in a satnav!

Terry

Charlie, I changed from Michelin Pile Ups to Yoko 21's about 12 years but nothing else.

Steve, Thanks for the offer; having moved house just 3 weeks ago I won't have much time for a while to do anything, but I will give you a shout if I feel the urge to get down and get dirty!

It is beginning to look like a case of TADTS, so maybe I will live with it, watch the cameras and buy a satnav. I guess it is tempting fate to say that so far, I haven't fallen foul of any speed traps *tongue*

Terry