Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec spark plug torque setting

Bob Shelley

For the lazy, the linked article states:

"Place the new spark plug into the cylinder head and tighten it by hand as much as you can.

Tighten the spark plugs to 11 ft-lbs with a torque wrench."

Convert to metric, as appropriate.

My 2008 R400D came with the standard FoMoCo TR6AP-13 plugs (made, I believe, by NGK). The "T" indicates a taper seat (no gasket).

A bit more on torques: NGK recommend 10-20Nm (7-14 lb ft) for their 14mm taper plugs into an aluminium head. If no torque wrench is available, they suggest hand-tight plus 1/16 turn (22.5deg). Haynes recommend 12Nm (9 lb ft). NGK also recommend no lube on the threads.

JV

I have just been into the workshop and pulled out my 2002 Duratec head, my 2013 new highport Duratec head, and my other Zetec blacktop head.

When I was setting up my car with the Zetec, I had no choice of plugs here so had to use the 2,5 RS turbo plugs that had the better heat range for my motor.

The std Zetec is a taper seat, the 2,5 RS plugs have a 19mm washer but the head is machined with a 20mm diameter flat face for the 19mm washer to seal on just above the taper.

When I have checked the Duratec there is only a 18mm diameter flat seat above the taper, when I tried the zetec plug with the washer,

the 19mm washer is not happy going in to the 18mm diameter recess and was 10mm short of seating.

You would have to force it and the reach might not be enough.

The diameter of the PTR6F plug is 16,3mm just above the taper, If your plugs have a washer bigger than 18 mm it’s not going to work unless you get the seat face enlarged.

I have a fancy plug socket with a built in pre set torque of 20nm but I still like to trust my own judgment. *wavey* *cool*

Chris