Click here if you are having website access problems ×

starter kit or not

h

I have decided to buy a caterham and decided to go the route of a starter kit and buying kit as I go along on my build. I plan to do the build over next year. Are there any disadvantages to taking this approach? I plan to do a few track days but mainly use it on the road so are there any recommendations on specific options I should buy?

• Area Representative

Hi H,

Welcome to Caterham ownership - you'll never look back 😬 On the question about buying the parts in kit form as you go along, I imagine the biggest problem will be one of frustration! Because the whole car doesn't take so very long to build anyway if all the component kits are available, purchasing one parts kit at a time will be a long slow business with plenty of waiting time in between.

I am not sure if its still the case, but purchasing all the component kits in one go was cheaper than buying them piecemeal.

Appreciate that there may be cost issue here and being able to shell out the readies for the starter kit and all the parts can be a tad hefty but it really is the best way to go if you can.... I am sure that there will be plenty of others along soon who will suggest a suitable spec. I have had Xflows and have a VX now that's brilliant, had live axles and now a de dion, widetrack now and standard track in the past. Whatever spec you go with will be a blast anyway and you'll soon be grinning ear to ear.... 😬

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Leadership Team

H - assuming the reason for spreading the build is to spread the cost - if it's only 12 months it may be better to buy the complete package on borrowed money - low interest rates etc etc. I believe it is actually cheaper (not a word often used in connection with a Caterham) to buy the whole package together - anybody else any experience on this one?

Try to get to the MAD meet (North Cheshire aka Merseyside and District) last wednesday of the month. There's always a good turnout. See you there Nick.

Stu.

H,

If you are not too bothered that you MAY get a 'Q' registration then you should be able to source plenty of 2nd hand parts ... seats , wheels, weathergear etc... see for sale section. This could make the car end up being cheaper. Not sure if the starter kits now are for de dion & / or live axle, if you go the live axle route you can specify that the chassis be built allowing the Ford axle instead of the Ital.

I went this route in 1998, call if you want to chat... 0114 274 6166

Mark.

• Area Representative

These cars don't take long to assemble! I assembled my 1.6 Roadsport in March this year. It took me 65 hours over 10 days to assemble!

If you want a current registration, I understand the wording to be "no more than one reconditioned to as new component". If you're happy with a Q plate, then you could use more 2nd hand parts, but beware, it's still not cheap!

I considered the starter kit route, but wanted an "02" plate so decided on buying the lot in one go.

Having had a "fantasy" specification for 15 years, when I finally had a suitable budget, deciding on an actual specification was very difficult.

You may even consider buying a car rather than building. Now is a good time to buy, you could drive one for a few months and then decide what you really want before building.

As Stu said, borrow the money and do it now!

Feel free to Call me on 01782 616493

or email richard.price8@btinternet.com

Welcome H,

FWIW, I am in the latter stages of building a 1.8K that I purchased as a starter kit. My intention has always been to own and for purely cost reasons I decided to go the starter kit route.

Since my kit was delivered in July I have steadily aquired more parts to the point of near completion.

I cant say that there are any disadvantages other than you do pay more in the long term (about £1K).

One important point is that when you order the additional kits don't get the bacle axle kit unless you have the misc.kit, because the propshaft comes with this kit and needs to be fitted to the diff before installation.

The big advantage to me was that over time you become more familiar with the car and by reading this forum and asking loads of questions you get expert advice on what to do and what to get and what not to get, plus I wanted to experience the build, which so far has been very rewarding. Someone was right in saying this route can be very frustrating. It can, just when your getting into it the funds run out and you have to prioritise which bit to buy next.

One last thing, be warned if you want to avoid the Q plate Caterham will insist all the parts are purchased from them or they will not issue a cerificate of newness.

Good luck

Thanks for all the prompt responses. The reason I have been thinking about the Starter Kit route is because I am not in a desperate rush to finish the car (I am sure this will change once I start building!). I was originally working towards buying a complete car in the summer of 2004 (mainly down to finances) but with the starter kit option, I could start my build in April 2003.

With the starter kit option (I want to have a new reg rather than a 'Q') can I specify upgrades to the packs? ie. wide track suspension, carbon fibre dash, etc or am I stuck with the standard specs for the packs?

Thanks

H

You can specify virtually anythuing you wish. This is one of the mistakes I made. I thought you were pretty well locked into the standard specs of either the de-dion or the live axle chassis and the corresponding parts, but that is not the case.

Caterham are very eager to please ( and take your money).

Its back to the point I made earlier. The starter kit route gives you time to consider all of the options and go with whatever parts suits your needs and your pocket.

FWIW in hindsight I really wish I'd specced up the uprated brakes. However whichever way you go you will not regret it. Its the most fantastic feeling seeing your pride and joy take shape. Patience is the key!.

• Area Representative

Hi H

I built my first car from a Live Axle starter kit. Bought all the packages from Caterham to ensure a pucker build.

It did cost a little more to do it that way. About £1000 extra in 1997. But it helped me to spread the cost. Great feeling going to the factory every month to collect some more parts. The best bit was seeing the engine with it's wonderful carbs, sitting in the back of a friends Estate Car. Got a cricked neck on the way home. Then getting the wheels and tyres and putting the car on the ground for the first time

It also does give a chance to think about each part of the car.

The feeling of satisfaction at the end was well worth the wait.

Having said that, I would now buy a complete set of parts if doing it again. I currently run a very nice used K-Series that I bought from Derek Moore. Just to get back on the road. But I feel the urge to build another. 😬 😬 😬

😬 😬 😬 *eek*Three Trees *thumbdown* ☹️ *confused* *idea* *thumbup* *cool* 😬 😬 😬

• Area Representative

Agree that everyone should have the opportunity to build at least one Seven if they have the chance (read "money"). There's nothing quite like putting all the bits together and watching it take shape over the hours (okay Richard, days *biggrin*).

Spec to the best of your available budget if you can or build a lower spec car initially (it will still be loads of fun) and then when the upgraditus bug strikes, and it will, upgrade then or even sell the car and buy someone else's when you get the signiifant benefit of their work/expenditure for a fraction of the original cost *eek*.

As you are probably aware, seven owners tend to treat their cars with tremendous care so buying a second owner one is not fraught with the same difficulties that buying a tintop causes....

Good luck!

Nick

PS Stu - see you at the next MADS meet. H, why not try to get along?

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Harrie

MAD (Merseyside & Dist) meeting is at The Ring O' Bells Pub, Daresbury, Warrington on last Wednesday of each month i.e. next is 27.11.02.

People usually gather around 8.00pm. If you look at the home page and then follow the Area Meetings link a map is available on the Mesyside and Dist entry.

Sevens usually in car park at rear of pub.

See you there

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

One other fact you should be aware of before you take the plung is that a starter kit will be marked as such on its VIN plate and whilst its easy to avoid a Q plate the car will always have a reduced value as compared to a same spec car built from a full knock down kit, typically -30% . Caterham told me that they never buy back cars built from starter kits.