Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer problem

Ozzy

Out for a blat today, and the speedo started playing up. Seemed to be sticking at high MPH, when I had slowed down. Very intermittent, but at one point I was stopped, and it was still reading 60! I think it's something inside the unit, as I pulled out the drive to the gearbox, tapped the glass a few times and it dropped back to zero. It's the older mechanical type with the twiddly knob under the dash to reset the odometer.

Anyone had anything similar, is there anything I can do, or is it knackered?

Oz.

Edited by - ozzy on 6 Apr 2013 17:10:13

Ozzy, the 90-degree metallic elbow off of the gearbox can get filled with crud from the road. You can remove the speedo cable going onto it, then with a pair of needle nose pliers and a bit of oomph you can remove it.

Be careful to save the connecting pin coming out of the gearbox!

Spray wf-40 into the elbow and shake excess out. Let it dry, repeat.

Then spray some light machine oil into it, it should turn very freely.

That usually does it on our car, you may want to put the red tube on the oil tube and spray some down into the cable itself to give it a bit of a lube too whilst at it.

Steve,

I don't think its anything to do with the drive at G/box end, it's something in the clock itself. As I said, I disconnected the drive from the back of the speedo, and tapped the glass, and the needle fell back to zero. Also, I drove up the road with the drive hanging out, so I could feel if it was rotating ok, and all seemed normal. Also, odometer seems to be working normally anyway, so it's in the clock somewhere. When I can be bothered, I'll take it out, and probably give it a blast with an airline, to blow the crap out, and see what happens.

Oz.

mine gives me the same problem Ozzy ...odometer works all of the time but the speedo needle boings around a bit after being stuck at zero for the first mile. It will stick on 60, drop straight back to 0 then boing back again. After a short while it behaves. If I give the wiring a little wiggle at the back it often kicks it into action. If I leave well alone it will suddenly begin to behave normally too. I am sure mine is an electronic sender ... definitely a problem with the unit rather than the cable/sender I think. Its been like it for a long time and havent bothered a lecky to check it out yet *wavey* ....2001 K series