Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

External cut out

Alan Reeves

Now this sounds like a numpty question.

I have a nice red external cut out lever.

What do you do with it when parked up as its vulnerable to nicking and stranding?

Take it with me I guess, never wanted one but it came with the car.

A bit like the detachable steering wheel, have to take it with me or it might get nicked.

Now wheres that back pack,

blimey thats a grumpy start

Lockwire it on, then it can't fall out and isn't prone to casual theft. Or you could keep a spare one somewhere about the car - they're pretty cheap.

Has anyone actually had a removable steering wheel stolen? I leave mine on, assuming that the average scrote who might consider nicking a steering wheel wouldn't even guess that it was removable.

• Area Representative

Yes, I remember Davey B having a steering wheel stolen at Le Mans - had to get one shipped over. I guess Le Mans has a number of petrol head scrotes.

Having said that I've always left my wheel on, although I've now fitted one that's small enough to fit in my pocket 😬

Edited by - Paul Richards on 2 Apr 2013 10:15:21

I keep a short security cable Abus 1850 security cable coiled round the bottom of the roll bar with an aquasafe padlock attached, use this to fasten wheel to roll bar. External cut out just gets dropped in a pocket but there are probably a few places it could be hidden, always take a spare if touring, tend not to bother in UK

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 2 Apr 2013 11:01:12

If you don't want it there, why not just bypass the switch all together so it'll run without it?

Personally, I find it's a great way to make sure that EVERYTHING is off before working on the car, or leaving it for a while and not worrying about parasitic drain from immobiliser ECU etc..

Edited by - charlie_pank on 2 Apr 2013 12:36:19