Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noise Test

maxdog

Quoting Mankee: 
Shelsley Walsh hillclimb is in your neck of the woods isn't it? If so, you might be able to sneak in a noise test on a hillclimb day or something similar.

kicks oneself, should of thought of that!

Thank you Mankee

And thanks to JohnW for the tip- YHM! *wavey*

Downloaded Decibel 10th for iPhone did some tests at 4000, 5000 & 6000 rpm, at 0.5 & 1m and 45 deg to the gas flow, as per ISO 5103?? I'm assuming this is the standard.

Readings all around 100db so I'm guessing I'll need it checked with a calibrated meter!

I'll post the results for comparison when it's been done.

Next question the law doesn't seem to provide a limit, seems to be covered by the construction and use regulations, ie can't be louder then the original, SVA would have allowed for 101 db, but the car is pre SVA would anyone like to give an opinion on suitability for road use......

• 1 month later...

To update,

I was concerned that the readings using the iPhone didn't differ throughout the rev range.

So tested it with something that's most definitely higher than 101 here

The up shot being a 101 reading so I think it's clear that the MIC becomes saturated and can't be trusted at least not over 100 dB

I'm on the road now and as such will be getting a noise test done shortly, hopefully I'll be able to test the iphone side by side for comparison.

Edited by - maxdog on 9 May 2013 10:04:07