Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dripping Webbers

StewartG

Whereabouts is it dripping from? the first thing to check is both float level heights, this mainly cures all webers from dripping. Also check float valve needles for wear, and last but not least are you running a electric fuel pump, if you are the run a pressure regulater set at arround 3, 3-5PSI, at the last carb.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Hi Stewart

I agree with Peter

However I had this a couple of times.

Try cleaning the float valve (needle valve) first, it might just be a bit of fuel crud under the valve seat. All I needed to do was take them out clean and refit.

If the cars done a good few miles it or they might be worn as Peter said.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Peter and Bilbo, thanks for the response it's dripping from the jet that hangs down vertically in the throat of the carbs I'm assuming this is the pump jet. Three of the four barrels have a globule of petrol hanging from them when the engine is switched off (which I understand to be correct) but one drips. The carbs don't have a pressure regulator and I suspect that may have contributed to the problem. How do you set/check the float heights?

Stewart,

Can I suggest you get hold of a book by Des Hammill called "How to build and Power tune Weber+Del'Orto carburettors", you can get it from www.veloce.co.uk (less than £20) This will take you through everything you need to know about fettling Weber/Del'Orto carbs (DCOE/DHLA) in a very easy to follow fashion.

Setting float height and checking needle valve seating is the starting point but there are other possibilities.

Hi Stewart

Do you have a electric fuel pump 🤔

If you do a pressure regulator is a must have

As Foxy says you can have other problems these are rare sticking throttle pump but try the simple things first.

Haynes Weber manual is not bad but only tells you how to tune chose bits and rebuild the carbs. Its odd really all seem to avoid more than that, I have not seen the book Foxy mentioned. Still one dripping can still be the needle valve.

There are some pages on line not Caterham related, I will see if I can find, one that gives pictures of the accelerator pump if you don't have a manual. Most other problems are just strip and clean i.e. accelerator pump valve.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Hi Stewart

Well very quickly have a look at this not for a Caterham but its very graphical.

here

Show how to set float level but the wrong settings and wrong size DCOE.

Must go off line