Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle cable termination for Duratec conversion

Shaun_E

• Support Team
I am using the Jenvey throttle linkage under the TBs and running the cable round the front of the engine and back to the pedal box. What is the best way to attach the outer at the pedal box? Ideally I would take the fitting off the end of the K throttle cable but I can't see how to do that. Alternatively, Caterham sell a Duratec throttle cable which just looks like a longer version of the K cable but I'm not sure it's long enough and I would have to butcher the TB end. Suggestions and pictures gratefully received.

I made a cable using the Kseries outer at the pedal box and a bike brake cable (inner and outer) for the rest. I don't remember a special fitting at the TB end apart from a collar that the cable goes through and secured by a nut. Mine also passes around the front of the engine to the TBs avoiding any sharp bends to reduce friction to the top mounted Jenvey linkage. By using a bike brake cable, the brake lever end will fit inside the standard pedal with a little bit of easing.

Sorry can't be more specific but not near the car to go and have a look to refresh my memory. It's been working fine for 2 years now with now issues. Hope this helps?

Andrew

Venhill do kits for throttle cables with a selection of adjusters and nipples, plus of course the inner and outer cable. They do a bespoke one for a 7 but it might not be what you actually want so I'd go for the kit. Or you could try a proper local bike shop if you have one in your area.

Edited to add, you might not want to do this mod but some of the photos might be helpful here

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 21 Mar 2013 22:11:39

Shaun,

I use rover K cable chop off the end at the TBS and jenvey sell what they call a trunnion £4 that connects the inner of the cable to the raceline TBS. You will have to also fabricate a stay plate that will hold the outer of the cable which I fix to the two fuel mount on the head casting. Simples

Forgot to add to mail email yesterday i would consider fitting an increased diameter water pump pulley-Ammo has some for sale currently.

Rob

Chop up the K outer to give you the boss you want, get a kit from Venhill and use their outer sleeve to make the rest of the outer the length you want, then solder the correct shaped nipple onto the end to slot into the pedal.

This last bit takes some skill, more info available on request. (More difficult and important for clutch cable, as it takes a lot more load.)

• Support Team

Thanks everyone. I have a Jenvey cable so will chop the end off the K cable and join it to the Jenvey one using some of the bits from Venhill. Looks like they do a middle adjuster that will do the job. Jenvey supplied a solder less nipple for the end of the inner cable.

Thanks again for the help.

Shaun