Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec oil px switch

Hodsonpe

I'm going to add a low oil px switch to operate a dash light as belt and braces to the gauge. I can add it into the second tapped point along the oil gallery ok but does anybody know the Ford part please?

I had a trawl around and there seems to be a bewildering number of types and styles for something so basic. My engine is a Raceline 2.0 and a couple of years old now. As to the px of operation, I'm guessing that something around 15psi or so will fine for the light?

Thanks

Paul.

Hi Paul *wavey*,

If you can, go for a 1.5-2bar sender - it gives that little bit more of a safety zone. I believe you can also get an adjustable one to set it where you want it. If you can't get one in the right thread, get an adapter an use 1/8NPT sender. HTH

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 21 Mar 2013 11:05:11

I bought one from Demon Tweeks in 2004 for my XFlow and I have now fitted it to my Zetec.

It is adjustable from 60lbs to 15lbs, the part number on the DT invoice is LON4300 which is a Longacre part number and it looks like THIS.

I can no longer find it on the DT web site, they seem to have replaced it with THIS and a Google of LON4300 brings up THIS so I presume that is the latest version of what I have.

I have it wired to a red light between te speedo and rev counter, IMO a wise think to have.

Guy

Guy, I have the same Longacre sender as yourself, but not fitted yet. Do you know what pressure it is/was set at from the factory? And how do you adjust the thing? I want to twizzle the screw in the centre of the sender, but not sure if it's a good idea or not...

Mankee

Not sure what it was set at when I bought it (it was 9 years ago) but I changed it anyway and again when I installed the Zetec.

Yes the center screw is the adjustment and from memory you screw it clockwise to increase the pressure that the switch closes at and A/C to decrease.

Longacre recommend setting it like this:

An easy way to adjust the sender is to turn the motor over with the starter-ignition off. The oil pressure will rise slowly. Note the pressure where the light goes out. Adjust as needed and retest. If you try to do this by starting the motor the pressure will rise so fast you may not be able to see the set point.

However I set mine with the engine hot & ticking over, I screwed it out until the light came on constant and then gave it a smigin of a turn in. Its now set at just over 2½ bar so it just starts to flicker when the engine is VERY hot and ticking over *smokin*.

Guy

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 22 Mar 2013 16:03:31