Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The build has begun... and so have the questions...

BigCol

I'm one day into the build of my 140 Supersport...

Could you put my mind at rest (or advise me what I've done wrong!) please?

I've built the front suspension and whilst the hubs move smoothly, left to right without notches or catching, it seems to me to be very stiff - requiring quite a bit of effort - more than I'd expect - to move it... *confused*

It that OK or am I unnecessarily worried and have incorrect expectations?!

• Area Representative

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
I think you are worrying about nothing, fit a road wheel if you can & you will find it a lot easier to move the steering. *wink*

Enjoy the build & do you have the technology to post any pictures?

*thumbup*Seconded

Quoting Martin Jeffrey:

I think you are worrying about nothing, fit a road wheel if you can & you will find it a lot easier to move the steering.

Enjoy the build & do you have the technology to post any pictures?

Seconded

Thirded. The rack will feel stiff until either the road wheels are on or the steering wheel. As long as it's smooth across the travel you'll be fine (IMHO having built 2 cars)

But we all love to see build pictures so get posting :)

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the reassurances... I was happy that movement was smooth, if heavy - but it is designed to be moved by hand of course!

I have been enjoying the building, rather than recording /documenting it... will take (and post) some pictures tomorrow though.

That said, I do have a camera automatically taking a photo every 10 seconds so I can make a time-lapse video when I'm done!

The reason it feels heavy is that by moving the discs your are operating the rack in reverse.

The gearing is set up so it is much easier to move the rack by turning the pinion than the other way around.

Enjoy the build *smile*

Duncan

I wouldn't want to film myself!

It would mostly consist of me looking for tools that I have put down somewhere.

Some while ago a film was posted up of the first start up of a new ford powered R500 following the build (naming no names) & it quickly became apparent there was zero oil pressure. *eek* One wrecked engine.

You are some way off this but do just spin it over on the starter & check for oil pressure before firing it up.

Could I ask you a favour, my Supersport kit is being delivered next wednesday. Am going to do the build on mobile axle stands so would like to set them up to the correct width before delivery, If you have a sec could you let me know the distance across the chassis side rails at the rear arches and also distance between the 2 front axle stands, presuming you have it on axle stands. Thanks

Tim

As long as you have another person with you - you'll have plenty of opportunity to adjust the spacing when it comes. The delivery guy and myself carried it out and my wife got the axel stands into place.

Delivery and build pics here in case they are any use.

Enjoy your builds guys!

Cheers,

Martin

• Leadership Team

Hi Tim,

Nearly there then. What we did with mine (at the delivery guy's suggestion) was to put the wheels on the floor and initially put the chassis on them then lift either end one at a time and position the stands accordingly.

Bet you cant wait, I know how impatient I got 😬

Yep I'm probably being a bit paranoid about having everything ready. Spent the first 4 weeks after I placed my order researching and reading build blogs etc and then went into 'ive still got ages to wait' mode and now im in 'blimey its coming next wednesday, am I ready? mode'

The delivery guy has done it hundreds of times and will guide you through no problem. Guess how we did it? Yup - wheels on the floor, chassis on the wheels, lift and locate the back. Lift and locate the front.

The chassis with nothing attached to it doesn't weigh all that much.

Jez

PS You should see the garage that I built mine in now. It was a friend's and I cleared it, and tarted it up (new floor etc.) as a quid pro quo for borrowing it during the build. It is *COMPLETELY* full of crap again now, 4 years later.

I too did lots of research months ago but only a limited amount of follow-up recently due to my panic to get the garage clear (and painted) once I'd got the delivery date!

The nice delivery chap from Caterham (Tim too I think) first moved the stands I'd put out so we could carry the very heavy box one in - DeDion, rack and lots of other heavy bits... and then the others (which vary drastically in weight).

As commented above, he put the wheels down and then we put the chassis on those. One of us then lifted an end and the other moved the stands into place - all very easy.

That said, if you still want the spacing of mine, I'd happily get them for you.

Quoting BigCol: 
I too did lots of research months ago but only a limited amount of follow-up recently due to my panic to get the garage clear (and painted) once I'd got the delivery date!

The nice delivery chap from Caterham (Tim too I think) first moved the stands I'd put out so we could carry the very heavy box one in - DeDion, rack and lots of other heavy bits... and then the others (which vary drastically in weight).

As commented above, he put the wheels down and then we put the chassis on those. One of us then lifted an end and the other moved the stands into place - all very easy.

That said, if you still want the spacing of mine, I'd happily get them for you.

Thanks think from all the replies I'm probably better waiting till it turns up I've guestimated it roughly so shouldnt need too much adjustment. Will keep an eye on this thread with interest as you are about 10 days ahead of me.

Tim

One tip re axle stands.....tape some old carpet or similar tough material over the top so the chassis can rest on a surface that won't harm the powder coat.

My delivery guy said he knew which house he was going to as he pulled into our close as there was the open garage door, immaculate tidy garage & four shiny new yellow axle strands laid out waiting for there load. 😬

Must be a nice job delivering to excited punters! Tea was served of course. *wink*

• Area Representative

If you get a chance you should spend a fair bit of time getting to know what is in each box and checking it ties up with the build manual. I did this after I found (or didn't find!) that there were no steering rack brackets (no 2 in the build process I think!). Most disappointing!

I did a full inventory check after that and got the missing bits (there will be some!) from Caterham in good time before you reach that point in the build.

Great fun and I am envious!

Happy building!

Iain *wavey*

good advice... I started an inventory but was overwhelmed - the parts list is just that: a list! but your suggestion of cross-referencing the build manual is a good one.

so far, my only shortages have been grommets, a couple of washers (one a loss rather than a shortage to be honest) and some electrical connectors.

Derek at the factory has been brilliant - both in terms of advice but also reacting promptly to getting these bits in the post promptly (including some brake pipes which I though I hadn't got but then found later when looking for something else!)