Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Trailer Security

johnpbransfield

Car has been sat on the trailer during the winter but I could do with the trailer living outside for the rest of the year.

BJ Minnow, it has a "Yellow Bar" that locks to two special wheel studs on one wheel. It also has a barrel type lock on the hitch lock.

Are there any other types of lock that you would recommend that might help detere certain members of society.

The trailer will be out of view up a cul de sac, but scrap metal entrepreneurs do cruise around!

Thanks.

• Area Representative

John

When the BiL and I stored his boat on it's trailer outside the house during the winter, we jacked up one side, put some bricks to support one side (two piles, front and back), removed the wheel and jack.

Everything was restored four or five months later.

Easy, cheap, effective. (yes, someone could turn up with a wheel but nothing is perfect and if they want to take everything that much, a lock will not stop them).

I second this recomendation. Wheel clamps are usually v easily removed by deflating the tyre. Always best to remove the wheels if possible & maybe use winter wheels like these

Quoting Mark Durrant: 
John

I have a Bulldog Hitchlock which is very substantial and will take a significant amount of effort to remove. There are different models depending on the towhitch fitted to your trailer.

I don't think most of the normal trailer security measures will deter your local 'metal-collectors'. Not much will stand up to a a 5 tonne hydraulic jack with some solid metal bar welded on (the favourite tool of choice 😬 )

fwiw i use a locking trailer hitch, a wheel clamp and a wire hawser round the A-frame and then round a steel RSJ. All this will do however is slow a pro-thief down. The key reason for using them is to stop an opportunist thief and (most importantly) keep my insurance company happy, so there are no arguments if/when...

It's worth spot welding the hitch bolts to the A-Frame as this stops (slows down) the practice of unbolting the hitch and towing away just using a chain to drag the trailer.

My Brian James trailer has been stolen twice.

Its kept at the Mother in Laws, in a very quite rural area.

Luckily I got it back each time, but decided it wasn't going to happen again.

Reversed trailer very tight against a wall, then chained it to that wall, security bolts through the brick work, almost inaccessible chain around the chassis and a good lock.

Datatag here

On other side from wall Bulldog winter wheels.

a sign stating very clearly that the trailer was covered by CCTV

and finally a triple lock hitch from Indespension.

Been two years now, no further issues.