Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing and refitting number plates

Emilys dad

Very basic enquiry here.

I want to fit new number plates on my car when it arrives.

I have several queries about this which I'm sure you can all help me with.

The front one appears to be stuck on with sticky tape or pads of some description.

Looking on ebay there is plently of choice of double sided tape/pads that will do the job. Is there any particular brand of tape that is better to use or one that should be avoided?

The rear appears to held on to the spare wheel carrier with a bead of silicon glue/sealer. Is this the best way to refit it, would the doublesided tape work as well or is that less effective on the curved surfaces of the rear wheel carrier?

If silicon type fixer is best again is there a preferred option?

I've read elsewhere that an effective way of removing the stuck on plates is to use floss to cut through the tape, any other suggestions on removing the old plates?

Finally whats the best solvent or cleaner that you can suggest to remove the residue of the old tape that won't damage the paintwork, especially on the nosecone

Thanks

Dave.

Indeed ..... floss or nylon fishing line.

3M no more nails tape (exterior) on a roll is good stuff (although they have changed the formula lately). Use it along the lower horizontal edge of the nosecone ... and importantly ... an inch or so up each vertical ... this stoos the plate flexing in the air flow at speed !

Can use the same stuff on the rear.

Edit .... white spirit or WD40

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 17 Mar 2013 10:14:42

You'll find other threads on the subject, so worth a search to find the opinions of others. I have found that No More Nails exterior (red) double sided tape works a treat. *thumbup*

Edit: Handy tip - I've also found that using a wallpaper seam roller (the soft foam type) to press down the plate once it's in the final position, helps to make a much better bond.

Edited by - Mort on 17 Mar 2013 10:18:43

I used 3M 'Velcro' to hold plates on. Is working a treat for me.

All other sticky tape couldn't face up to either weathering or washing.

Used Lighter fuel to remove residue or Metholated spirit (slightly gentler)

Agree, white spirit also good. Also as stated above plate can flex , that's why I found the 3M Velcro worked well.

Edited by - SBD762 on 17 Mar 2013 22:03:33

For removing adhesive, in order:

WD40

3M Adhesive Remover

More discussion in this thread, specifically for carbon fibre, with a recommendation for "Ambersil label adhesive remover". I haven't used that but I would guess it's similar to 3M Adhesive Remover, and that they're both based on limonene.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 17 Mar 2013 12:05:59

• Leadership Team

*thumbup* for 3M no more nails exterior (red appearance) tape.

Plate fell off a few times in the first 1000 miles using the CC stuff. The 3M tape, applied as SM25T suggests has meant the plate is rock solid and has been for the subsequent 4500 miles!!

Quoting BudJuggler: 
Quoting Emily's dad: 
Quoting SBD762: 
I used 3M 'Velcro' to hold plates on.

If this 3M tape is velcro style does that mean the plates can easily be removed, say for example at MOT time to put a larger plate on.

Dave

Exactly 😬

If that's the case I'll be getting two sets of plates made up, some 3m Velcro tape bought, and change the plates as necessary.

Thanks all.

Dave.

do not buy anything from dcoupe signs...my adhesive plate would not come off,by the tradional methods,ripping my paintwork off 'nose',had to buy another 'nose'.

The company did admit the adhesive was strong enough to last for 10years,after

I complained.However no mention when selling!.

I am still pursuing the claim and am confident I will get compensation.

John. *wavey*

A Fire Brigade Transport Officer/Fleet Manager I know used no more nails (liquid stuff in a tube) to fix a shelf to the wall in his home(by its edge 😳). Loaded it up with books. Fell off the wall.

At a subsequent Industry Awards dinner he was presented with an empty tube of NMN mounted on a fancy wooden plinth with a brass plaque !

😬 😬

I feel a whole new thread coming on....DIY disasters. *eek*

Not many in my house but I see loads of them in the houses I work in. Most recently I needed to move a curtain to vent a rad, black water etc. The rail fell off the wall as I moved the curtain. The owner had bored shallow holes in the wall & then pushed twigs from the garden into the holes & these supported the rail. *rolleyes*