Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Airbox THB sensor

bluespeed

I have a lovely R300 2002 fitted with throttle bodies but wish to make quieter for use. I am fitting an air box and repacking the silencer.

What does the small sensor mounted between the trumpets on the backplate of the air filter mounting plate do? Sits inside the Pipercross air filter. *confused*

Can it be moved to a different position on a new backplate I am fabricating? This is required to mount the Air box allowing it to fit inside the car without the need to mod the bonnet.

Advice as ever gratefully received.

Simon N

Sounds like the air temperature sensor and this should measure normal outside air temperature. My sensor is mounted remotely out of the air box so should be ok to relocate to a new positin on your fabricated back plate.

John

That'll be the air temp sensor. I removed mine from the backplate. The thought of having a big retaining nut which could possibly vibrate off and down the trumpets kept me up at night.

Also, it has been known that on some cars with alloy backplates, once parked up after a run, there is sufficient heat conducted through the material to create false readings of hot air.

Thanks, as ever some excellent responses. I may go for the relocation out of the airbox idea and try this first of all. If it doesn't work well I can then add a hole to place it back inside the airbox plenum chamber as it is now.

Simon n *biggrin*

Bernard Scouse Airbox for Jenvey DTH 42s

Sorry I missed one of the replies. The airbox I bought on this site from a great guy in NI (see above details) and will be adapted to fit my Caterham R300 THB. It is all a bit of an experiment as I need a quieter car but wasn't happy to spend £500 on the idea, hence the second hand purchase.

Hope it works!

Simon N