Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting of heater

Colin Grundy

Doing all of the odds and bobs in the latter stages of the build, and I thought I would fit the heater.

The one I have is the one with the big 7 logo on the front. The problem I have is that offering it up to the bulkhead the mountings either side of the casing do not line up with the rivnuts in the scuttle panel. Also I have no idea where to route the operating cable (the push/pull knob thing), it is pre-attached to the heater valve. Is this just for packing purposes and do I have to take it off and route it somewhere inside the car? I am presuming that the sponge surround of the heater does face up to the bulkhead with the logo facing outwards. The instructions in the build manual are non existant. Apart from not bothering with the heater can anyone offer any advice please. Why is it these 'little' jobs turn out to give the most grief!?

*mad*

Colin, You may possibly have to redrill the hole in the surround of the heater to make it match up with the rivnuts. It might just be a matter of squashing the foam a bit to make it line up.

The operating knob thingy runs across the car and should fit through a hole in the bulkhead, such that the knob can be found in front of your right knee, or thereabouts.

The 7 logo does face forwards. I can take a digi-pic or two for you, if you like ?

Edited by - nick green on 15 Nov 2002 13:43:11

I'm really not sure now you mention it, it probably is the caterham logo that is embossed on the front. However, does the fixing differ between the two?

No I haven't spoken to Caterham, I just thought I might get lucky raising the point just as someone has just fitted theirs. However,I would appreciate the photos though. I have been searching through the photos on the seven gallery and I've found a couple of recent under bonnet shots. The one in particular is Mavs SV. It shows an angular bracket either side of the heater which I dont appear to have, so probably a call to Caterham will probably be inevitable. Thanks for your help.

*thumbup*

Just fitted a heater on a live axle kit...

had to redrill one of the bottom holes in the fixing flange to line up on the horizontal fixing..

had to drill holes through the heater casing to line up with teh rivnut on the vertical fixing.

All seems to fit ok.

The cable needed to be detacted from the heater end to thread it through the dash board hole - and then re-attached

Just read the comment about packing washers....these would go between the flange on the haeter and the scuttle- and I missed them out.....but seems to work!

Edited by - cliveM on 15 Nov 2002 16:12:47

Just been checking with a mate of mine. One of his build helpers did the heater fitting, but he does recall packing washers being involved...

That'll be me.

Just gone for a look, and the problem is that the rivnuts are wider than the holes in the heater. One side is fitted correctly. The other side has a slot cut into the edge of the heater to expose the rivnut, then a largish washer which is half over the heater and half over the bulkhead, centred on the rivnut.

I've emailed you a couple of photos which clearly show this (sent 'em to colingrundy@hotmail.com). BTW my heater has the pseudo-triangle logo, with a 7 in the middle.

Jon

Thanks for the photos guys, I appreciate that. Problem is that it has now convinced me that there is a problem. My heater is the same as the ones shown, but after spending a good hour last night, the heater fits into the bulkhead perfectly and all the vent holes line up, but the lower rivnuts are at least 1/4" out (further towards the bulkhead) than the moulded brackets at the side of the heater casing, the heater is pushed back as far as it will go, squashing the foam surround the damn thing will not line up. Obviously a call to Caterham is necessary on Monday, but what worries me is how, out of all the kits they must produce, the rivnuts on mine are clearly in the wrong place. Even if I took the foam surround off it still wouldn't make the difference. I could drill a couple of new holes and nut and bolt it into place and silicone the original holes up, but that not the point. I hate problems like this on a job that should take about 10 minutes. POO!!

*mad* *mad*

Colin, Just another little tip with the heater-I fitted mine a shortwhile ago with the Caterham logo etc (and the rivnuts seemed to line up on mine).

To fit the cable you need to remove the little screw at the heater end and thread it all through from the dashboard. You can then get the locknut on and fix it in place without trying to pull off the control knob. Lastly you may need to slide the cable sleeve back/forwards in the grip to ensure that the full open/close range is possible when pulling the knob (ooh er). I only mention this now as it is a pain to do once the heater is actually plumbed in as the screw is round the back on mine.

Bruce