Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Big fat PRRT

Labergorce

Hello all, newbie here, well returning member but new to K series. I used to have a roger king crossflow about 8 years ago and have just come back to the fold having recently purchased a 1600 SS.

I, of course, have been doing the due diligence on these pages knowing nothing about k series engines until 2 weeks ago. And i have to say what a fantastic resource these pages are. I now think i know just enough to be dangerous... *smile*

Obviously the first thing i'm going to do is install the PRRT. so i ordered the part from LR parts and it has arrived in a rather fetching greeny cream colour. I phoned them up to ensure it was the right one and the chap confirmed it was the one with the weaker spring but couldn't confirm the temperature. He said it wasn't the 88 degree one so i'm assuming its the right one. His comment was the original LR part is grey but the replacement non OEM ones can be different colours.

Any one else come across this? Oh and it's quite a bit bigger than i imagined it would be not having seen any photos of installs 😳 Not sure i want to add that much weight *biggrin*

Oh and one other question, i have a Left/Right switch between the water temp gauge and the oil press gauge that when i switch to the right the water temp gauge drops to zero - any idea what it may be supposed to be reading? i'm assuming whatever it is is broken or possibly never installed?

cheers

Mark

• Area Representative
Rather than a PRRT, I suggest you modify your cooling system to the layout shown in Low Flying last September. If that was before you joined, I could scan the article and send it to you. There is a thread on this matter. I will see if I can find it.

Welcome back Mark.

Can't help with the PRRT but the switch is to change the temp gauge from reading Water temp to Oil temp, so if you switch it towards the Oil Pressure gauge it should show oil temp, assuming the engine isn't stone cold when you've been trying it *wink*

If you find the wire to the Oil temp sender (at the sender end), remove it from the sender and touch it to chassis, the gauge should go to full defection, indicating the wiring and gauge are ok *wink*

Fitting a PRRT is a good idea, but you need the grey 82Deg C version with the weaker spring, not the cream or black coloured one. They aren't suitable.

It's part No PEL500110 you will also need to remove the old thermostat and fit the flow-restricting disk plus necessary piping/T-piece.

photo of my install here

Do a search on BC for 'PRRT' - there are plenty of threads on how to fit.

edited to add - I wouldn't buy a OEM version of PRRT as it will be difficult to know exactly what you have got. Hence LR reference

Edited by - skydragon on 15 Mar 2013 17:15:39

thanks for the quick replies. i will trace the wire for the oil temp as it's clearly not attached or the sender is kaput.

regarding the PRRT, the part number i ordered is the PEL500110 and that's what it says on the box - but it isn't grey, hence my call to LR parts and subsequent post here as i'm aware i need the 82 degree one with the weaker spring that is usually grey. But as stated the guy at LR parts suggested i had the right one but it wasn't grey - which it isn't!

GJT would like to see the LF article, have BM'ed you.

I must admit to being totally confused I've driven a K originally 1600 then 1800 now 1900 for 16 yrs the cooling set up is completely std No hole in stat no remote stat and despite 1000s of miles of touring in horrendous temps from well below freezing to off scale at other end I've Never had a cooling problem, you guys are just paranoid.

Quoting Johnty Lyons: 
I must admit to being totally confused I've driven a K originally 1600 then 1800 now 1900 for 16 yrs the cooling set up is completely std No hole in stat no remote stat and despite 1000s of miles of touring in horrendous temps from well below freezing to off scale at other end I've Never had a cooling problem, you guys are just paranoid.

Mine was like that Johnty, 50,000+ miles until the Scottish Tour last September, after the car was rebuilt. Since then, nothing but overheating problems ☹️

Will be trying the PRRT route shortly, but I'm not convinced it will cure it.

I've always had one of those, so I'm not convinced it will help, other than possibly making it easier to fill up without airlocks.

I currently get the nose as high as possible and fill very slowly (or at least, "my man" does 😳 😬)