Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ancillary parts under ny bonnet.

JohnForbes-Crisp

1995 Rover 'k'series Supersport 1400cc.

Is anyone able to come to me in Finchampstead and identify the ancillary parts

fix or recommend a 'fixer',for a "dead on the driveway".It appears the 'workings'

are an,early type with an IACV built in.

Now getting to the point of being,Sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

[a danger to myself and/or others.] *mad* *mad* *mad*

hi John, afraid I can't help as I'm not in the country at the moment.

Last time we had it all working bar the idle didn't we? it seemed to be running ok, but just dying off at idle, which you could pick up again on the throttle with a bit of judicious footwork?

You could maybe get it over to the ReHaB meet this evening, I'm sure somebody there would point you in the right direction.

Maybe you could temporarily 'up' the idle speed with that screw on the throttle stop we looked at, just to make it a bit easier to drive.

Hi John,

My car had an early 1.4k SS engine before I swapped it out to the current 1.8

I had a number of issues with idle and rough running that I thought were related to the throttle body and its method of idle control - they appear to be different to the later IACV on these early 1.4k motors.

I finally got to the bottom of my problems when I swapped the engine over to the new 1.8 k-series. It turns out that I had a dodgy wire on my throttle pot sensor connection to the ECU. When your car is running roughly, have you tried wiggling the wiring loom about? With my problem, that did make a difference to the idle performance of the engine!! I made a permanent fix by running a new set of wires back to the ECU and Earth from the throttle pot. Cost was less than 10 quid, and took about an hour.

Have a look at the wiring.

I'm at the other end of the country to you it seems (Bristol). Happy to look over photos if you want to send me some for parts identification. I have my old throttle body with stepper motor etc still in the garage if you need to replace yours at the end of the day.

Quoting JohnForbes-Crisp: 
How am I supposed to get it over to re-hab,johnv,when I can't get it started? *wavey*

John, has it got worse then? As I said in my post, when I left you it seemed to be running fine, just not idling.

Quoting JohnForbes-Crisp: 
Charlie;"remote help",Please see 'Dead on the Driveway'.Tech Talk page 3.

Ray;Funny,ha! ha!.

Racingshoe;Your e-mail address.MAILER DAEMON@YAHOO.COM. FAILURE NOTICE. *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

John, has it got worse then? As I said in my post, when I left you it seemed to be running fine, just not idling.

This car was built as a race car but never raced.A company up north had a fleet of Caterham cars that they used forsome form of high speed driver training????[not

necessarily on a race circuit]

The engine was built by Minster[hence the seals]they built engines for the race series at that time.

The 1400ss was built with a higher bhp engine,revving to 7400rpm-with a small flywheel,to enable it to outperform the 1700 Super Sprint. *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

The C-Class 1400SS was a"good value" Caterham at the time and worked well as a track-focussed spec - quick rack, LSD, 13" wheels, 21R's, reat anti-roll bar etc.

The engine spec was however standard 1400 Supersport, approx 133bhp, standard flywheel and with the larger forward facing "Caterham" aluminium plenum that was used prior to the use of the plastic Rover version on the 16/1800s. All were Minister built and sealed.

Unfortunately the "IACV control" is an integral part of the throttle body and if it has failed beyond repair the TB will need replacing - it's not actually an IACV but a small stepper motor that opens the butterfly slightly at tick-over. But .... the position fo the TB is further forward than the IACV loom connection would allow so there will be a lengthy extension piece plugged in, might be worth checking the contacts of the plugs for corrosion. At ignition-on the butterfly should open slightly which can be seen as a small movement of the accelerator cable / butterfly quadrant.

Stu.

original post

To cut a long story short, he got a local garage to diagnose a fault with the IACV. He got a new one from somewhere, it didn't fix it.

If it is truly a problem with the IACV, you can run without it. What you need to do is remove the motor and block up any holes that leaves in the manifold, warm the car up (yes you'll have to sit with your foot on partial throttle to stop it stalling), then adjust the stop screw on the throttle butterfly until the engine will idle happily.

If you want to fix the original problem, given that the garage diagnosed an IACV fault and you've replaced the IACV, my next port of call would be the wiring - you could start by continuity testing the 'extension' that Stu mentions above.

When you turn the ignition on (without turning the starter motor) do can you see the IACV doing anything at all? Does the throttle butterfly move or make any nose?

Edited by - charlie_pank on 16 Mar 2013 14:45:05

3 guys from the "AWESOME" decided to change their meeting place,to my home

address today.[in the lousy weather conditions---my 7 is not garaged].they brought

with them tools and parts...when they left,my car was fixed...it is now,"Alive on

the Driveway".

My special thanks to;TONY,GUY and CHRIS.

Now i know where "AWESOME" originates.

John *biggrin* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*