Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Conditioner-Advice to hard wire?

Rob Board

Hello Again, Just bought a battery conditioner from Banner batteries for the winter. It comes with the option to "Hard Wire" the push fit connector to the car, instead of using the croc clips. However where is the best place to route/site the cable? Secondly my handbook say DO NOT connect a croc clip to the battery negative terminal, instead when charging use a suitable earth point on the chasis. Why? and would this still apply when wiring in the conditioner. The car is a new Roadsport 1.8 X power 140BHP Your helpful advice as ever is greatly anticipated Cheers Rob *confused*

ROB i have the same conditioner as yourself . i have installed a cigarette lighter just next to the

fuse box under the dash, and used the conector that came with the charger to give a direct feed from the battery, i split the + wire and installed a fues inline this works fine if you want i will

post a photo in about one hour on line if this will help .

handbook say DO NOT connect a croc clip to the battery negative terminal this is only

refers to a charger with a larger ouput as this may damage the alternator no need for you to worry about this with the banner.

Rob

I have an Airflow battery conditioner. I fitted a panel mount socket to the scuttle under the fuse box, wired direct to the battery terminals (with a 4A fuse in the +ve line as close to the battery as possible). The connectors I used are actually audio connectors, but the current for a battery conditioner is quite low so they are up to the job. The ones I used were XLR type - Maplin part numbers KC53H (panel mount female) and KC58N (free plug male). I've used these succesfully for about a year now and they are a neat installation - this location is fairly easy to connect/disconnect (ie you don't have to take the bonnet off) but they are also fairly out of sight.

I think the reason for the handbook not recommending connecting the negative of a charger to the battery itself is that you can get a spark on attaching the second lead which could (theoretically) ignite gases given off by the battery - hence connect +ve to battery first and then -ve to some remote part of the chassis or engine. If you hard-wire the charger connections this is no longer a problem - any spark created would be well away from the battery.

Dave

Edited by - Dave McCulloch on 14 Nov 2002 19:30:47

The XLR connectors are more than up to the job. Some Audio equipment use them for the mains feed as well.

I would have thought that if you are going to hard wire it in, then a useful addition might be a diode in the +ve feed so that the socket is neutral when not being used for charging. That way, a short circuit becomes irrelevant.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Fred

Went to start the Seven this morning and the batteriy is flat. Think I need a banner. Will ring them tommorow. Do you know if it is also a boost charger to kick it back into life? Can you send me your photos please re permanent wiring .

Steve

Steve Hunt

I've got an Airflow which I just bought at the classic show last weekend, neat piece of kit. I was under the impression that you should loosen the cell screws on the top of the battery during use ( which is stated in the instructions ) which was one reason why I did'nt bother wiring in a permanent set-up as you obviously have to lift the bonnet each time to re-tighten can anybody advice me on this.

cheers Phil 😬 😬 😬

Phil,

I've had an Airflow for the last 2 years which is permanently connected via a plug & dash mounted socket and have never loosened the cell caps. It has not given me any problems in that time and the battery is always charged ready for use.

Personally I wouldn't bother with loosening the caps unless it was a completely flat battery being charged.

Brent