Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade path - 1.6K Supersport

halstock

Not that I'm quite ready to upgrade yet, but I'd like to start thinking about it (for the winter, maybe). I'm a technical novice that will have to get any serious work done by others, so simple answers only, please. 😬

What is the general opinion of the best way to upgrade my 1.6K Supersport ? I'd quite like to get it to about 160bhp. My plans are for road use only for the time being.

Arguably (and even technically) I could badge my car as an R300 if it had the right engine with RBTBs, correct ECU, etc. It is R300 spec except for the engine: dry sump, LSD, 6 speed, big brakes, wide track, etc, all on a Superlight chassis. This is appealing to me, the chance of getting an R300 "back" after what happened to the first one *redface* 😔. Is this a possible upgrade when starting with a 1.6 ? I believe it's a stroke issue. I also gather RBTBs are next to impossible to get hold of now.

Alternatively I have read of the DVA packages (hello Oily *wavey*) and realise there is a well engineered, straight-in-and-out upgrade to be had there.

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Ah yes, I should perhaps have mentioned that I am already in the planning stages of that for pre-summer, and potential upgrade is definitely an AFTER !!

I will probably ask a separate question about sources for good instruction, but suffice to say it is absolutely and totally top of my list.

Thanks for your sensitive phrasing, Jonathan *smile*

Andy

My 2p's worth.

I'd go to DVA and seek his advice. I'd guess that porting your existing head and adding an Emerald ECU would get you the power increase you want (??). Verniers may be recommended as well.

fwiw - Unless you want to sell your car to CC (which you may) I'd forget trying to fit in with the CC model versions/specs and just upgrade it as best suits your needs/budget. eg. Mine has been taken from a 1.6k roadsport to a 'R380'...does it really matter what badge it has on it, as all caterhams are basically the same but with different bits bolted on (except the CSR of course).