Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec - Oil

Eugene

For those lucky enough to be driving a Zetec powered 7...

I've been running on Valvoline Durablend - 5w-30, with no real problems.

But, I have just changed to Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 fully synthetic, with impressive results.

The engine is quieter over all, feels 'free-er', and really does seem to run better. The pick-up from cold is better, and when warm there is an obvious improvement in pick-up out of corners.

I made the change for no real reason, other than I needed an oil change as I had replaced the dip stick, and needed to re-mark the 5L point.

Really glad I did now!

😬 😬 😬

CaterBram Jnr the Zetec in RWD configuration is renowned for high oil temperatures, (I had to fit a cooler for track use), therefore the viscosity rating needs to be higher so the oil will remain thicker at the high temperatures, hence the improvement at the end of your sprint runs. I also use Gulf Competition oil but 10W 40 because I'm a whimp and don't do much cold starting 😬

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 9 Mar 2013 16:13:35

Thought about the 10w40 but wimped out when I looked at the cold start oil pressure.

Thought about fitting an oil cooler or laminova to get the oil temp down but did not want the added weight 😬

Got some Evans Coolant to try and see what effect it has to improve the engine to water transfer , never have high water temperatures, just high oil temperatures.

Mine is due for an oil change so this is interesting.

I'm really suprised that changing from one reputable brand of oil to another brand of oil makes such a difference. I'm not trying to dispute the claim, more interested to understand why one oil would be so different from the next when the basic spec (5W-30) is the same.