Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powder Coating

Colin Grundy

I need my windsceen stancions powder coating, and I haven't a clue where to go. They are the original anodised ones and I thought I'd be a smart arse and spray them Hammerite satin black but to be honest they would soon flake.

I've tried Arch, but got no luck there, they refered me back to Caterham (which is surprising seeing Caterham advised me to try there!) Anywhere near Bedfordshire would be ideal but I suspect I will finish up posting them somewhere.

Your advice would be appreciated.

*confused*

There are quite a few industrial powder coating places around, but they tend to only do big batches of stuff. When I built my Locost, me and a mate (who was building his Westie) got all our aluminium panels powder coated, including the inside of my side panels and his entire floor, and it still came to less then the minimum requirement for an order! That lot cost us about £150 between us from a place in Guildford (forget the name), so pretty good VFM but no use if you've only got one little bit to do. If you can find a friendly one though, if you take along the bits and show them how small it is, you may be able to persuade them to throw it in the machine with some of their regular work for a couple of bevvies *thumbup*

Chris

Not knowing much about something has never stopped me wading in, so here I go again *cool*

Arent the black stanchions anodised rather than powdercoated ? If so can you get them re-anodised or doesnt it work like that ?

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings.

Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ but is being fixed *thumbup* *smile*

Normal black anodising is not difficult, it's just that exposed to sunlight it tends to go a shade of deep purple (queue a song). If you have c/f stone guards, checkout the black rivet heads - mine have discoloured.

You can get around the problem by a process of 'hard' anodising but this is not a great idea for objects under load/stress as hard anodising can reduce the structural integrity of aluminium by up to 30% (or so I am told) hence Mike Barnby's comments.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell

I woukld suggest local copy of Yellow Pages / Thompsons under powder coaters / industrial coatings and then if all else fails - shot blasting.

in all probability you will have to get your items blasted to strip them to a suitable base - they will probably know any local powder coaters.

I manged to get all the suspension bits, front and rear, light brackets and the roll bar for a westie coated for a few quid - excellent.

And if you're not into the last ounce of feel, powder coating will not do enough harm to your suspension rubbers, so you can leave them in - normally the heat is not high enough for long enough to do anything.

But put plgs into all screw threads etc before blasting or coating - saves them time (and you money) doing it.

Bri