Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Information - Sticking ABS cycle wings

Ivaan

Just to let others know Sikaflex 292 does the job!

Tried quiet a few others, but even after curing for over a week, I was able to peel the wings off by hand.

I roughed up the area under the wing with sandpaper then degreased with brake cleaner. First stuck the wings onto the top of the stays with a small bead of 292, then after 3 - 4 days, got underneath and completely surrounded the stay with more and spread across a larger area of the wing. Now stuck like ..err..glue 😬

Edited by - Ivaan on 1 Mar 2013 11:36:25

• 3 months later...

Until yesterday I was a firm believer of Sikaflex, but loosing a wing down the straight at full chat is scary! I had roughed up the area with the back of a knife, degreased with white spirit and let them cure for three days before driving. And the wings stayed on for about a year, until yesterday.

So, from now on it will be bolts for me 😬

Quoting gundersen: 
Until yesterday I was a firm believer of Sikaflex, but loosing a wing down the straight at full chat is scary! I had roughed up the area with the back of a knife, degreased with white spirit and let them cure for three days before driving. And the wings stayed on for about a year, until yesterday.
Did you make a sleeve or tube of Sikaflex around the wing stay or only a sandwich ?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 11 Jun 2013 12:32:43

Only a sandwich between the bigheads and the wings, used two bigheads for each end of the wing so four bigheads pr. wing.

But it was the bond between the sikaflex and the wing that broke away, so I can't see any amount of sleeving/tubing fixing that.

As mentioned above, white spirit alone is not enough. You need to clean thr inside of the wing with acetone (nail varnish remover) before applying the Sikaflex. Big runs of it under the wing and around the stay to encapsulate it.

It is not suitable for a small sandwich layer under bighead fasteners. You need a two-part acrylic FS adhesive for that.

Reading your comments about white spirit I thought that can't be right, it doesn't leave any residue behind...but it seems that I and my lack of understanding of British household chemicals is the source of the confusion. *redface*

What I used, and wrongfully termed white spirit, was denatured alcohol. As far as I know, it doesn't leave any residue behind.

But as always this is an eternal argument, and people will always be split into gluers and bolters, and I just switched camp 😬

A mis-application perhaps, but one widely recommended on this forum *smile*

Also:

"Sikaflex®-292 is suitable for the structural jointing of marine components that are subject to a high degree of dynamic stress. Ideal applications include the bonding of the reinforcing grid and bulkheads to the hull shell, as well as the bonding of fly bridges, ceilings and rubrails or bumpers." quote: http://www.sika.com/

So if we are getting into pedantic mode, we are all mis-using it since it has been designed for marine use.

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Not disputing it's use and suitability for tough applications and marine use ..... but there is a big difference between bonding large areas like bulkheads and ceilings ..... and a small square like a large postage stamp ..... with high loadings.

Might be worth reading the tech data before making this sort of statement

Quoting Bob_r: 
I find a few carefully positioned holes in the wing, and good quality cable ties are the perfect combination for track days and Racing.

Regularly replace cable ties, as cold temps and vibration lead to them eventually snapping.

Is bonding wings the most talked about tech-talk item? Mine are bonded and riveted now, on the recommendation of a race team.

Jez

• Area Representative

I used Terostat MS939 to fix the bigheads to my wings. After an incident with the tyre wall at Castle Combe, it was the bighead that broke (the two loops became detached from the body).

I've never had any problem with sika 292 on fibreglass or carbon wings bonding on bigheads. Lots of high soeed testing, kerb hopping and so on for over 30,000 miles, no issues. Still a believer that if you clean everything properly it should never be a problem. On my Abs wings I used the acrylic bonding stuff from BigHead and again no issues so far.

Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon!

Quoting gundersen: 
Reading your comments about white spirit I thought that can't be right, it doesn't leave any residue behind...but it seems that I and my lack of understanding of British household chemicals is the source of the confusion.

What I used, and wrongfully termed white spirit, was denatured alcohol. As far as I know, it doesn't leave any residue behind.

What was the local name of the solvent you used?

Some "methylated spirits" = "denatured alcohol" contains added oil, usually petroleum oil.

Jonathan