Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vauxhall Exhaust - Silencer Inlet?

Matt Sullivan

Looking to change my 5" competition exhaust to a repackable one, not sure what to do about the inlet.

The collector is 4-1 with the inlet to the silencer 2". Talking to Ammo at Raceco, he advised the possible way to go would be to increase the inlet size on the collector (requires cutting, replacing and welding).

I don't want to faff about too much and wondered whether I'd notice much gain considering its 2.0 Swindon 235 (yeah right) on 48's anyway.

Getting a bespoke full system at the moment is a bit prohibitive cash-wise, but at 109db a new repackable silencer is a must. I've heard some iffy reports about Techcraft, so I'm looking at raceco or H&S.

cheers, Matt.

Matt,

Like yourself I have a Swindon Vx. I happened to be visiting Ammo to collect some books I'd bought from him and in the couse of one of those tyre kicking conversations Seveners have he sold me a new silencer and also convinced me that a 2" silencer header was too small for this engine spec.

The upshot was I bought one of Raceco's first Titanium silencers and when it arrived it was accompanied by a short length of 2.5" S/S tube. This tube was used with the exhaust system partially assembled to determine where to cut the 4-1 collector. Very easy, I did all the marking and cutting myself but had a local shop do the welding as I wanted it TIG welded as its a visible item.

The bottom line. Absolutely the best thing I've done to the car. Bags more torque, revs more freely. The car is much faster but much easier to drive, don't need to change gear just leave it in fourth (not quite!) Sounds good too, deeper note but much quieter with the new silencer (don't tend to wear ear plugs)

I would strongley recommend increasing the outlet size to 2.5" and think Ammo's silencers are a good product, hand made to a very high standard by Mick Riley (also a seven owner)

Alan

It took Mike about 2 hours work to increase the size and he charges a reasonable rate per hour. I can't remember the exact amount but it was not an issue.

He actually fashioned a new piece of pipe to smooth into the 2 outlet of the collector; it was not just a bodge job. The result is so good that nobody ever even notices it

Top man.

"A straightforward swap with very little faffing about!"

Thats what using my jig provides. The 2.5" is also built on the same jig, so I'm on to £50 both ways! The joys of IP......

Being serious, the 235 will breath much better with a 2.5" collector. Do it. Hayward and Scott will charge around £50 to modify the collector and will also make a #4 primary so all 4 are very close to equal length for a similar amount.

They are on 01268 727256

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 15 Nov 2002 22:46:13