Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sheared grease nipple on UJ

Roger Ford

Roger Ford Thanks. I'll give that a try. But if it doesn't work then presumably I need either diff or gearbox out?

I'll probably get flamed for this but if it was mine I'd leave it. I suspect that as you have just greased it, it will be a long time before it gives any trouble.

Then you could tie the work in with some upgrades *smile*.

Tony

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Thanks. I'll give that a try. But if it doesn't work then presumably I need either diff or gearbox out?

Roger

If you decide to remove the propshaft take the diff out....If you remove the gearbox you'll be wasting your time, as the propshaft can only be removed from the rear. (On a dedion car - maybe you have a live axle, about which I have no idea!)

Malcolm

Well that was easy. Bought some extractors (like the ebay ones, but from Machine Mart so they cost £12 with an added tool that I already had). Found that there was no way to get the tool holder in the gap, but as I tried to see which was the best extractor to use the old nipple unscrewed straight out. I had expected it to be seized solid. Suppose a healthy amount of grease in the area helps!