Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

mixing tyres

Phil

On a mountain bike for example you can have a front tyre with a tread designed for turning with a rear with a tread pattern designed for grip and forward motion.

On a 7 you may have a larger rear tyre to the front, while having the same rolling radius with a different profile, width and possible change of wheel size.

So

Why not have a different tread pattern front to rear or even a different make front to rear, why are we all so set on matching sets when there are so many other factors effecting the handling such as toe in, out, tyre pressure and camber?

I usually just match tyres front to back so the tread pattern looks the same (maybe a bit anal)

At the moment thou I have just had 2 rear toyo r1r's fitted with 50 profile and the car feels the same. The fronts are cr500 and will be changed pretty soon as they are getting low.

Adam

I don't know mountain bikes tyres and not very well road tyres for our seven.

For slicks tyres that I try to understand a bit, the main parameter you try to manage is the temperature of the tyre.

Different compound means different heat progression.

If you have some power (let's say more than 200hp on our 7), you need wider rear tyres to help them stay within the heat values you know the tyres are working the best.

If the rears are too thin, it will be difficult to keep them in the correct heat and then they will over heat.

If they are too wide it will be difficult to warm them up.

And I'm not sure it's the same for a mountain bike.

(sorry for my beatiful English...)

Edited by - Catastrada on 22 Feb 2013 08:46:32

They run fine backwards in the wet. Until there's standing water. Then you need them forwards.

The reason for running them backwards on the front is due to the way in which the rubber is laid. The greatest force on the front tyres is braking, which wraps the tyres on tighter. IYSWIM.

Jez

No reason why not ... If you know what you are doing *wink*

Different tyre have different characteristic

I had an experience of changing the front tyres new to worn on the rear

Brilliant turn in grip ... Confidence to power out of the corner ... Unfortunately the rear didn't have the grip 😬

School @ Angelsey a few years ago

Full 360 at +100mph

Obviously I didn't know what I was doing *cool*