Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Anyone had a wheel fall off? Mine did today

MartinH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal thread length for max strength is 1.5 x diameter of stud, 12mm diameter threads = 18mm long stud. Longer than this will be of no benefit to strength, if you can measure the thread pitch you can work out how many turns the nut must turn on.

If the nut was to bottom on a closed end nut, the nut would not come off easily on the road because it locks on the end of the stud.

The wheel might be loose and wobble, the holes and tapered seat would get damaged but the wheel would not fall off after a short distance

*wavey*

Hi Martin

i asked in the other thread if the wheels had been repainted (ie paint in the seats) but you've answered that point, I only raise it as I nearly lost a wheel on my 355 once at Combe, the wheels had been repainted but the seats not masked so had several layers of primer/ paint on, with the pressure/ vibration the paint dissolved / cracked leaving enough of a gap for the wheel bolts to be loose.

Does the socket you use fit OK in the wheel? wondering if the socket might foul enough on the outside to the point where it makes the Torque Wrench click but the nuts are not tight

Thanks chaps.

Dave - yes - got that cheers - just haven't got around to measuring yet but will do.

Birkin - lovin' the technical stuff. Always good to learn *thumbup*

Mark - Wheels new 3 years ago with the kit but will check the paint and also a possible fouling situation with the socket tonight.

Cheers,

Martin