Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pre build questions

TBKBABABTIM

Getting last few bits and pieces together and would appreciate your help/advice with the following:

Is LOCTITE 5980 QUICK GASKET FLANGE SEALANT ok for the bellhousing gasket.

What engine/gearbox/diff oil would people recommend - its a supersport sigma/5 speed with lsd

And finally have read that a lot of people seem to think the standard brake pads not

particularly good so would you recommend fitting different type from the outset

Quoting Steve Newman: 
Re the brake pad be careful wrt IVA testing. Probably best sticking to the CC supplied ones for the test and then changing to something like Mintex 1144's (assuming road use).

Enjoy the build.

Thanks, should have said will be road use only, to start with anyway.

I also simply used the fluids that CC recommend! I took my Sigma through IVA 3 years ago and they failed it on the brakes. Tester did an emergency stop and it pulled to the one side quite a lot (I personally think he helped it turn a little as he wanted to find fault!) I spent forever stripping the brakes, re-bleeding etc but could not find anything wrong. When I took it back for the re-test I took the long way there and spent a good deal of time bedding the brakes in and they were fine.

I used the first fill kit from Caterham, it worked out quite good value, but I'd be wary about putting fully synthetic oil in a new engine and mine came with oil for an open diff (I fitted an LSD later).

For engine oil you'll need 5W30. I ran in on seni synthetic Comma oil, but since i have changed to Mobil 1 5W30 I have found the idle pressure is higher on track days without any higher readings when cold, so I won't be going back to the Comma.

I used silicone instant gasket for the bellhousing to gearbox gasket.

For the LSD you want a EP90, GL5 oil with LSD additive I have used Fuchs Titan Race Gear 90 LS from Opie oils.

I hope this helps

Duncan