Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec sump clearance

Hodsonpe

Folks,

As a result of winter fettling and messing about in the garage during this crap weather, I am concerned that my ride height may be too low. The bottom of the sump is about 60 - 65mm above the ground (measured by the drain plug) am I right t think this is too low and what height would be correct for normal road use?

I've not clobbered anything yet but I am thinking this is possibly just luck so far?

Paul.

thats about the same as me, just about OK if you keep your eyes peeled for lumps bumps and rocks, I have sacrificed another couple of mm to put a sump skid covering the front of the sump to protect the fins, probably wound't stop a major hit but certainly stops day to day knocks. I think the normal test for ride height is, if you can , just, roll a beer can under the sump its about right 😬

Tim

Quoting Tony Whitley: 
That's enough for you to be able to walk under it and inspect for damage *tongue*
Oi Whitley Bay, your not much taller *tongue*

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
Now be fair Tony, he did say mm not cm *tongue*
Right no alternator bracket for you Mr Alston *tongue*

It does seem a bit high, I think I raised it to stop the rear tyres rubbing when number one son came on a track day with me (he was 15 stone at the time). Might lower it this afternoon *smile*

Guy

Mystery solved, car had been on axle stands prior to me measuring ride height whilst fitting the new mechanical oil temperature gauge. Took the car out this afternoon for a quick blat, measured ride height again when I got back and it's now 75mm, think I will leave it at that *smokin*

Quoting tbird: 
Ideally, the lower wishbones should be parallel to the ground...

Then the sump height is what is is.

unless you can lift the overall engine height

Tim

I did assume that was a given 😬

My engine can't possibly go any higher!!!

Thanks all.

I do have the engine as high as it can go and the 65mm is without occupants so I think the consensus is correct that I need to get it higher. I'll have a play with it and see what I can do. Hoping to get it to Chris @ 7Workshop as soon as the weather improves and I'm sure he will sort it if I can't.

Thanks Steve (Eugene) for the tip about parallel suspension, I'll look about that.

All this lovely weather, the apparent onset of spring and getting out with the car is quite exciting......carbs are with Webcon having the 5 hole progression mod done in readiness *wink*

Paul.